Arlington in Arlington County, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
Near this point the Alexandria Canal crossed Four Mile Run, connecting Alexandria docks and railyards to Georgetown and western Maryland from 1843 to 1886. To the east were the turnpike and railroad. In 1896 the Washington, Alexandria and Mount Vernon Railway began to run electric trolleys beside the abandoned canal in this area, where it also built a car barn, repair shops and a power house. In 1906 the trolley line opened and operated Luna Park west of the tracks, providing a ballroom, roller coaster, water slide and other amusements. Parts of this complex survived until 1993, when the trolley barn was torn down after serving as a bus garage since the 1930s. Eads Street traces the canal and trolley line.
Erected by Arlington County.
Location. 38° 50.579′ N, 77° 3.273′ W. Marker is in Arlington, Virginia, in Arlington County. Marker is at the intersection of Eads Street and South Glebe Road (Virginia Route 120), on the right when traveling north on Eads Street. Click for map. Marker is at the corner (just inside the fence of the bus maintenance facility), one block west of U.S. Hwy. 1 and north of the Four Mile Run hiker/biker trail. Marker is in this post office area: Arlington VA 22202, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. Fort Scott (approx. 0.4 miles away); The Custis Family (approx. 0.8 miles away); Abingdon Plantation (approx. 0.8 miles away); The Hunter Family (approx. 0.8 miles away); The Industrial Age (approx. 0.8 miles away); Ronald Reagan (approx. 0.8 miles away); Abingdon (approx. 0.8 miles away); Abingdon Plantation Restoration (approx. 0.8 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Arlington.
1. New fence in front of marker
It is now difficult to read this marker. The marker is behind a new security fence that is higher and denser than was the former fence that the photographs on this page show.
— Submitted March 2, 2014, by Bernard H. Berne of Arlington, Virginia.
Categories. • Entertainment • Railroads & Streetcars • Waterways & Vessels •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Richard E. Miller of Oxon Hill, Maryland. This page has been viewed 957 times since then and 222 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on , by Richard E. Miller of Oxon Hill, Maryland. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.