Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Terezín in Okres Litoměřice, Ústecký, Czech Republic — Northwestern Bohemia (Ústí nad Labem Region)
 

Garrison Church

 
 
Garrison Church Marker image. Click for full size.
By Andrew Ruppenstein, August 25, 2009
1. Garrison Church Marker
Inscription. In Czech:
Posádkový Kostel
Kostel Vzkřišení Páně byl postaven v letech 1805-1810. Budovu s věží vysokou 56 m projektovali Ing. Heinrich Hetzinger a Julius D’Andreis. Takřka totožný se nachází v Pevnosti Josefov u Jaroměře.

In English:
Garrison Church
The Church of the Resurrection of the Lord was built in 1805-1810. Ing. Heinrich Hatzinger and Julius D'Andreis designed the building with its 56 m tall tower. A nearly identical church is situated in the Josefov Fortress by Jaroměře.

In German:
Garnisonkirche
Die Kirche der Aufstehung des Herrn wurde in den Jahren 1805 bis 1810 erbaut. Das Gebäude mit einem 56 m hohen Turm wurde von Ing. Heinrich Hatzinger und Julius D'Andreis projektiert. Eine beinah gleiche Kirche befindet sich in der Josefsfestung bei Jaroměř.
(Marker Number 3.)
 
Location. 50° 30.651′ N, 14° 9.056′ E. Marker is in Terezín, Ústecký, in Okres Litoměřice. Marker can be reached from Námestí Československé Armády near Husova, on the right. Click for map. Marker is in this post office area: Terezín, Ústecký 411 55, Czech Republic.
 
Other nearby markers.
Garrison Church Marker - Wide Shot image. Click for full size.
By Andrew Ruppenstein, August 25, 2009
2. Garrison Church Marker - Wide Shot
At least 2 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The Food Storeroom (approx. 0.3 kilometers away); Columbarium (approx. half a kilometer away).
 
More about this marker. The marker is located just to the left of the side door (south side, or right side as one is facing the front of the church).
 
Regarding Garrison Church. Terezín started as Theresienstadt, a garrison town within a fortress, founded in 1780, to protect the borders of the Austro-Hungarian Empire. (To better understand the layout of the town and fortress, see the satellite view of the map and zoom in/out accordingly). Changes in military tactics and technology made the fortress obsolete, and by the 19th century the lower part of the fortress was put to use as a prison. Theresienstadt became best known for its historical role in WW II when under German occupation, the entire town was turned into a concentration camp, with the Small Fortress turned into a Gestapo prison, and the Large Fortress turned into a ghetto into which Jews, mostly from Czechoslovakia, were forcibly relocated.
 
Also see . . .
1. Terezín. Wikipedia.org's article on Terezín. (Submitted on September 17, 2009.) 

2. Terezín - Theresienstadt. The Schinkel Zentrum's history of Theresienstadt, with
Dedication Plaque on the Northern Side of the Church image. Click for full size.
By Andrew Ruppenstein, August 25, 2009
3. Dedication Plaque on the Northern Side of the Church
A dedication plaque in Latin, stating roughly that his Imperial Majesty Joseph the Second, Son of the Empress Maria Theresa, founded Theresienstadt in her honor in 1780.
an emphasis on the garrison/military historical aspects of the town. Numerous photos. (Submitted on September 17, 2009.) 

3. Terezín. The official website of the town of Terezín, in English. Provides a short history of the town. (Submitted on September 17, 2009.) 

4. Terezín in Old Postcards. The town of Terezín as depicted in old postcards. What little text there is is in Czech, but the pictures speak for themselves. Numerous pictures of the garrison town, many including the church. (Submitted on September 17, 2009.) 
 
Categories. Churches, Etc.Forts, Castles
 
Garrison Church: The Church of the Resurrection of the Lord image. Click for full size.
By Andrew Ruppenstein, August 25, 2009
4. Garrison Church: The Church of the Resurrection of the Lord
 
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Andrew Ruppenstein of Sacramento, California. This page has been viewed 974 times since then and 4 times this year. Photos:   1. submitted on , by Andrew Ruppenstein of Sacramento, California.   2, 3, 4. submitted on , by Andrew Ruppenstein of Sacramento, California. • Kevin W. was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement