Inscription. The rural 19th Century village began as a sparsely settled community in historic St. James, Goose Creek Parish of the Charleston District. Following the revolutionary War, increased numbers of settlers entered the parish's backcountry where it bordered on Four Holes Swamp System. Many of these pioneers indentured themselves to Charleston merchants who
held state land grants. Agreements were made to clear and plant the land, erect log cabins, or "harvest" pine sap for turpentine.
By Mike Stroud, 2009
|1. Holly Hill Marker|
The sturdy, who preserved and survived malaria and yellow fever, amassed extensive land acquisitions.
Bunch Ford Road (SC 314) [Marker picture included] provided passage across Four Holes to St. George Parish, Dorchester.
The Old State Road (US 176) was an old Indian Trail that transversed the length of the settlement. It fell into the Old Gaillard
Road (SC 27) that connected Charleston to Vance's Ferry on the Santee River. In 1800, Francis Asbury, a Methodist circuit
rider and preacher, founded the area's first church around a stump pulpit. The church was located at the head of gate where
tar and other naval products were processed. Through the years tar-gate became Target. Target Church was the center of
the religious and social life and the Target Community grew and prospered. In 1855, the first school attracted many students.
After the Civil War, a Reconstruction School reopened in the Target Community.
By Holly Hill Marker, September 15, 2009
|2. Bennett House and Sweatman's Bar-be-que|
In 1823, increased stagecoach travel between Columbia and Charleston resulted in improved routing of the Old State Road.
A more direct leg of road by-passed the Target Community. Also, in 1825, the Camden Road (SC 310) was constructed to fall
into the new leg of the Old Stone Road. By 1827, Camden Fort Plantation was erected at this junction site, serving some 80
wagons around harvest time. Farmers quickly settled along these two new routes, Four ridges ("hills") crossed this section
of the Old Stone Road. Holly trees were abundant. Mail arrived by horseback, twice weekly and the mail was addressed as
Holly Hills - later Holly Hill. Visionary leaders saw the necessity for the settlement to have contact with more markets. In 1894,
the state chartered the Eutawville Railroad to cross Four Holes Swamp. This 34-mile spur line connected Holly Hill,
Eutawville, Vance, and Elloree to Charleston's then SC Railroad. In 1886, where the railroad crossed the Old Stone Road, the
site for the rural hamlet of Holly Hill was defined. On December 1887, the village was chartered as the "Town of Holly
In 1868 the districts in South Carolina became counties. Holly Hill was named in Charleston County, but in 1880, it
was replaced through legislation to be
in Berkeley County. By 1910, the citizens of the greater Holly Hill area successfully
voted its annexation into Orangeburg County.
By Holly Hill Marker, September 15, 2009
|3. (Right pictures):Target Church; McCoy School; Jeffers Home; SC Highway Marker "Holly Hill"|
(Top left picture)
Bennett House, Frank Culbertson, a NASA astronaut since 1985, spent his high school days in
this house. Colbertson has logged over 6,000 hours flying time in 40 different types of aircraft, and 350 carrier landings.
(Lower left picture)
Sweatman's Bar-be-que affords a unique experience in rustic dining. Their menu features
their national famed bar-be-que. Built in 1890's, Margie and R.O. Sweatman have preserved the best feature of this old home
to create a delightful atmosphere. Located on Eutaw Road (SC 453).
The rural town, Holly Hill,
incorporated in 1887, was built around a grove of Holly trees, The last tree from the grove, estimated to be 98 years old, was
removed in 1957, but a replacement was planted as part of the South Carolina Tricentennial Celebration in 1970. ( Includes
the SC Highway Marker "Holly Hill")
Target Church; McCoy School; Jeffers Home; SC Highway Marker "Holly Hill"
Erected by South Carolina National Heritage Corridor.
Marker series. This marker is included in the South Carolina Heritage Corridor marker series.
Location. 33° 19.327′ N, 80° 24.749′ W. Marker is in Holly Hill, South Carolina, in Orangeburg County. Marker is at the intersection of State Street (U.S. 176) and Depot Street, on the left when traveling east on State Street. Click for map. Marker is in this post office area: Holly Hill SC 29059, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 9 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. A different marker also named Holly Hill (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Target Methodist Church (approx. 2.4 miles away); Berkeley County (approx. 4.8 miles away); Eutawville (approx. 6.7 miles away); Astrounaut Frank L. Culbertson (approx. 7.8 miles away); Spring Hill Methodist Church (approx. 8.1 miles away); Eutaw Springs Battlefield Park (approx. 8.8 miles away); Battle of Eutaw Springs (approx. 8.8 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Holly Hill.
Regarding Holly Hill. Notable Residents:
Willie Randolph - former Major League Baseball player and manager •
Brett Gardner - New York Yankees baseball player •
Eddie Sweat - groom to U. S. Triple Crown winner Secretariat. (Wikipedia)
1. south of Holly Hill
Approximately 13 miles south of Holly Hill is the National Audubon Society's Francis Beidler Forest in Four Holes Swamp. It is known for the largest remaining stand of virgin bald cypress/tupelo gum swamp forest left anywhere in the world. .
— Submitted September 17, 2009, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina.
Credits. This page originally submitted on September 17, 2009, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 1,381 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on September 17, 2009, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.
|Recommend or Share This Page. |