“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Prospect in New Haven County, Connecticut — The American Northeast (New England)


Prospect Marker [ front ] image. Click for full size.
By Michael Herrick, September 10, 2009
1. Prospect Marker [ front ]
Inscription. Marker Front:
On the boundary where Waterbury and Cheshire met, homes were built as early as 1712. Schools were opened and, in 1778, a separatist church. The Congregational Church, “Columbia Parish,” was established in 1797 by Act of the Legislature. The governing body was “Columbia Company.” Its work included laying taxes, assuring support for church and school, electing constables, school officials, road surveyors, grave diggers and a tavern keeper. In May, 1827, nearly the same area was incorporated as the Town of Prospect, the town with an extended view, at an elevation of over eight hundred feet. Farming was the chief occupation, aided by industry that varied from mills for grinding grain, apple cultivation, and lumbering to the manufacture of farm tools, matches, buttons and other items of practical and household use.

Marker Reverse:
Noted and notorious men from Prospect included Peter Gilkey, counterfeiter; Julius Hotchkiss, who became the first Mayor of Waterbury, a Representative in Congress, and Lieutenant Governor; Benjamin Dutton Beecher, an inventor of harvesting machinery and a screw-propelled steamboat; and also C. L. Mortison, known as “Mort” for his cartoons and as “Lester Green” for his tall stories that made the name of Prospect known
Prospect Marker [back ] image. Click for full size.
By Michael Herrick, September 10, 2009
2. Prospect Marker [back ]
widely around the country. Men who lived in the area that was to become Prospect served in colonial wars and in the Revolution. They served as well as Civil War and World War I soldiers are listed on the monument in the center of the Green. World War II, Korean and Vietnam War soldiers are named on the honor roll in the Town Hall. Those who lie in unmarked graves are honored by a stone monument placed in the cemetery.
Erected 1980 by the Town of Prospect the Prospect Historical Society and the Connecticut Historical Commission.
Location. 41° 30.115′ N, 72° 58.695′ W. Marker is in Prospect, Connecticut, in New Haven County. Marker is on Center Street near Church Street, on the right when traveling north. Click for map. Located on the Town Green. Marker is in this post office area: Prospect CT 06712, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 4 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Site of the First Meeting House (a few steps from this marker); Prospect Soldiers' Monument (within shouting distance of this marker); W.O. Michael Aaron Kight (approx. 1.7 miles away); Memorial To Two French Soldiers (approx. 3 miles away); Lock 12
Prospect Marker image. Click for full size.
By Michael Herrick, September 16, 2009
3. Prospect Marker
(approx. 3.4 miles away); Liberty – Victory House (approx. 3.7 miles away); Hamilton Park (approx. 3.8 miles away); The Medal of Honor Plaza and “Living Classroom” (approx. 3.9 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Prospect.
Categories. Colonial EraSettlements & Settlers
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Michael Herrick of Southbury, Connecticut. This page has been viewed 1,022 times since then and 61 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on , by Michael Herrick of Southbury, Connecticut. • Kevin W. was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement