Laurel in Prince George's County, Maryland — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
Laurel Cotton Mill and Dam
—City of Laurel Walking Tour Site 2 —
Nicholas Snowden built a grist mill on this site in 1811, using water from the Patuxent River to power the mill. He converted it into a cotton mill in 1824. His son-in-law, Horace Capron, enlarged the Laurel Cotton Mill in 1836 to produce canvas duck for Baltimore Clipper ship sails and Conestoga wagon covers. The mill burned in 1855 and was re-built in 1856 with automatic sprinklers. The mill was the largest employer in Laurel in the late 19th century. The remnants of the mill dam and millrace can be seen on the Riverfront Park Trail.
[Seal of the City of Laurel]
Erected by City of Laurel. (Marker Number 2.)
Location. 39° 6.581′ N, 76° 51.451′ W. Marker is in Laurel, Maryland, in Prince George's County. Marker is at the intersection of Main Street and 9th Street, on the right when traveling west on Main Street. Click for map. Marker is in this post office area: Laurel MD 20707, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Laurel Factory: (here, next to this marker); Laurel Factory: A Mill Town (a few steps from this marker); Casula Point (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Laurel: A Factory Town Bridging Two Counties (about 300 feet away); Laurel Harnessed the River to Power the Cotton Mill (about 300 feet away); Water From the Dam Powered the Cotton Mill (about 500 feet away); Methodism in Laurel (about 500 feet away); The Old Stone Methodist Church (about 600 feet away). Click for a list of all markers in Laurel.
Also see . . .
1. Laurel Historical Society's info about the Mill. (Submitted on March 3, 2014, by A. Taylor of Laurel, Maryland.)
2. History of Laurel from the City of Laurel's website. (Submitted on March 3, 2014, by A. Taylor of Laurel, Maryland.)
Categories. • Antebellum South, US • Industry & Commerce • Settlements & Settlers • Waterways & Vessels •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Richard E. Miller of Oxon Hill, Maryland. This page has been viewed 1,035 times since then and 69 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on , by Richard E. Miller of Oxon Hill, Maryland. 3, 4. submitted on , by A. Taylor of Laurel, Maryland. • Kevin W. was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.