Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Munich, Bavaria, Germany — Southern Germany (Scarplands and Alpine Region)
 

“Lueg ins Land” Watchtower

 
 
"Lueg-ins Land" Watchtower Marker image. Click for full size.
By Andrew Ruppenstein, August 21, 2009
1. "Lueg-ins Land" Watchtower Marker
Inscription.
Hier stand
der Wachtthurm
Lueg-ins Land,
ob seiner Fernsicht
so genannt.

Erbaut vor 1374
Abgebrochen 1802.

Translated, the marker reads:
Here stood
the watchtower
"Look to the Land"
so-called on account of its
clear view
Built before 1374
torn down in 1802.

 
Location. 48° 8.14′ N, 11° 34.943′ E. Marker is in Munich, Bavaria. Marker is on Marienstrasse north of Tal, on the left when traveling south. Click for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: Marienstrasse 21, Munich, Bavaria 80331, Germany.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The Expansion of the Church of Our Lady Lane (approx. 0.8 kilometers away); Cathedral Church of Our Lady (approx. 0.8 kilometers away); Maximilian Joseph - Earl of Montgelas (approx. 0.8 kilometers away); Georg Lankensperger (approx. one kilometer away); The Church of Saint Michael (approx. one kilometer away); The Wilhelminische or Old Academy Building
"Lueg ins Land" Watchtower Marker - Wide Shot image. Click for full size.
By Andrew Ruppenstein, August 21, 2009
2. "Lueg ins Land" Watchtower Marker - Wide Shot
The marker is located at the second story level, below the coat of arms and above the first floor window.
(approx. one kilometer away); Gottfried Keller (approx. 1.1 kilometers away); Miesbach to Munich Power Transmission (approx. 1.4 kilometers away). Click for a list of all markers in Munich.
 
Also see . . .
1. Isartor. Wikipedia.org's History of the Isartor, the Isar gate. (Submitted on September 18, 2009.) 

2. Lueg-ins-Land Sightwalk. A virtual photographic tour of the immediate area, starting roughly halfway between the marker and the Isartor. (Submitted on September 18, 2009.) 
 
Categories. Forts, Castles
 
The building itself has painted upon it a depiction of the watchtower and city walls. image. Click for full size.
By Andrew Ruppenstein, August 21, 2009
3. The building itself has painted upon it a depiction of the watchtower and city walls.
The watchtower was built as part of the construction of the second city wall, built 1285-1337 under Emperor Louis V. The watchtower was located less than 300 feet from the Isartor, one of the four city gates, and would have looked out over the approach to the gate from the Isar River.
 
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Andrew Ruppenstein of Sacramento, California. This page has been viewed 1,162 times since then and 4 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on , by Andrew Ruppenstein of Sacramento, California. • Syd Whittle was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement