Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Rappahannock Academy in Caroline County, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
 

Rappahannock Academy

 
 
Rappahannock Academy Marker image. Click for full size.
By J. J. Prats, September 19, 2009
1. Rappahannock Academy Marker
Inscription. On this site stood colonial Mount Church, built about 1750. In 1808 the parish glebe was sold and the proceeds were used to establish a school; the church building was turned into Rappahannock Academy, one of the most noted schools in Virginia.
 
Erected 1928 by Conservation & Development Commission. (Marker Number N-15.)
 
Location. 38° 10.617′ N, 77° 16.4′ W. Marker is in Rappahannock Academy, Virginia, in Caroline County. Marker is on U.S. 17, on the right when traveling south. Click for map. Marker is in this post office area: Rappahannock Academy VA 22538, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 5 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Hazelwood (approx. 2.5 miles away); Windsor (approx. 2.9 miles away); Skinkerís Neck (approx. 2.9 miles away); The Third Lederer Expedition (approx. 3.5 miles away); Assassin's End (approx. 3.5 miles away); Jackson's Headquarters (approx. 4 miles away); Where Booth Died (approx. 4.1 miles away); The Sacred Lot (approx. 4.4 miles away).
 
Also see . . .  1813. The Rappahannock Acacemy: Caroline County. Entry in the 1917 book The Beginnings of Public Education in Virginia,1776–1860
Rappahannock Academy Marker image. Click for full size.
By J. J. Prats, September 19, 2009
2. Rappahannock Academy Marker
by A. J. Morrison. “This academy was in existence in 1813. In 1834, Martin [of Martinís Gazetteer of Virginia] says of it: ĎA flourishing and useful school a few years since, but we believe there has been no teacher there for some time past. We now, however, see an advertisement which states that the school will he opened on the 15th of January, 1835, with teachers fully competent to teach all the branches of education usually taught in our schools.í The arms lately used by the Port Royal Guards in the county of Caroline, were authorized to be transferred to the trustees or principal of the Rappahannock Academy in 1848. About this time the principal was William Mahone, Virginia Military Institute, 1847, later a general in the Confederate Army. In 1873, the trustees were authorized to sell the academy, and 264ĺ acres of land appurtenant, the proceeds to be turned over to the county school board of Caroline county, to be by them applied to the use and benefit of the public free schools of the county.” (Submitted on September 20, 2009.) 
 
Categories. Churches, Etc.Education
 
Site of Rappahannock Academy image. Click for full size.
By J. J. Prats, September 19, 2009
3. Site of Rappahannock Academy
 
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by J. J. Prats of Springfield, Virginia. This page has been viewed 1,429 times since then and 33 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on , by J. J. Prats of Springfield, Virginia. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement