Cabin John in Montgomery County, Maryland — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
[ Panel 1]
“... in our midst exists one of the most imposing and wonderful structures which engineering skill could devise ...” --William T.S. Curtis, November 1, 1897, from a paper read before the Columbia Historical Society.
As late as the mid-19th century, Georgetown and Washington, D.C. lacked a plentiful and reliable source of safe drinking water and adequate water for fighting fires. In 1851 Congress commissioned studies to solve the city’s water problem well into the future.
The brilliant young U.S. Army engineer, Lieutenant Montgomery C. Meigs (soon to be Captain and later General) conceived the plan for the Washington Aqueduct and supervised its construction. Completion of the Aqueduct 12 years later allowed delivery of nearly 100 million gallons of water each day to the nation’s capital.
The building of the Washington Aqueduct was an internationally renowned engineering accomplishment. The crowning achievement and most celebrated aspect of the original Washington Aqueduct is the Cabin John Bridge, also known as the Union Arch Bridge, has supplied drinking water to the city of Washington since 1863.
Building the Cabin John Bridge.
“During the striking of the center the closest instrumental observation failed to discover the slightest settlement in this, the
To transport materials to the bridge site, a dam was built on Cabin John Creek below the bridge location, and the resulting pool was connected by a lock to the C&O Canal, 1,000 feet to the south. Materials were loaded on canal barges, either at Georgetown or at the Seneca Quarry to the west, and the barges were floated to a point beneath the bridge. A heavy timber trestle supported derricks and a traveling crane which was used to hoist the timbers and stone into place. A center arch of timbers supported the masonry during construction. The cut stone arch of Quincy granite, transported by ship from Massachusetts, was “keyed” on December 4th 1858. The centering structure was removed on August 12th 1861 when spandrel arches were nearly completed and the maximum load was resting on the granite arch.
These three panels were prepared by Gerald Quinn with the support of the Cabin John Citizens Association and a grant from the Bethesda-Chevy Chase Regional Services Center (Montgomery County Government). The panels are based in part on prior work done by Mr. Quinn and Peter Vogt, both Cabin John residents. The steel base of the display, which reflects the graceful curve of the bridge itself, was designed by Mr. Quinn and constructed
November 17, 2001;
Completion of the Cabin John Bridge Restoration.
[ Panel 2 ]
“The best scenery lies beyond the city, especially in the neighborhood of Cabin John Creek . . .” Report of the McMillan Commission, 1902.
In the late 19th century the scenery and climate were so renowned that people traveled from distant points seeking the serenity and pleasures that Cabin John offered. They came for the fishing and to view the largest stone arch in the world, an engineering marvel by the standards of any era. They came to spend a few days at the opulent Cabin John Bridge Hotel, enjoying some relief from Washington’s malarial summers. The rhododendron-filled valley of the Cabin John attracted bird-watchers from around the world. Then, as now, Cabin John was a destination for bicyclists taking advantage of the flat and relatively smooth Conduit Road along the palisades. But before that, people came here to work. They came in the 1820s to build the Chesapeake and Ohio Canal, the new nation’s most ambitious public works project. The
These two unprecedented engineering projects–the canal and the aqueduct–first defined Cabin John as a distinct location, and the hotel became the first outpost in the development that landed us here in Cabin John today.
The place where you now stand as shown in a 1917 map [above]. The hotel was destroyed by a fire in 1931, and part of the creek valley was paved over in the 1960s. The Cabin John Bridge still supplies water to the city, and the C&O Canal is now a National Park.
The Chesapeake and Ohio Canal.
There are more switch locks in the vicinity of Cabin John than any place else in the 185-mile waterway. The canal rises high above the river here to lift the canal to the level of an old streambed. The concentration of locks created a community of lockkeepers and center of activity along this stretch of the canal. Seven Locks Road linked local farms and commerce to the canal.
The Canal is accessible by a footpath that begins near the opposite side of the Cabin John Bridge.
The Cabin John Bridge.
Also called the Union Arch Bridge,
The image above is a detail of the china pattern used at the Cabin John Bridge Hotel.
The Cabin John Bridge Hotel.
The Bobinger brothers’ hotel was very nearly as fanciful as the advertising illustration, above. The hotel was located on the site of the Cabin John Gardens community (named for the extensive gardens of the hotel), about fifty feet from where you now stand. The hotel emerged as a palace of the Gilded Age, then declined and became a casualty of Prohibition and changed styles. It was destroyed by a fire in 1931.
[ Panel 3 ]
“. . . an extravagant expression of Victorian romanticism.”
Guests at the Bobinger brothers’ Cabin John Hotel entered the grounds by way of an ornate iron foot bridge crossing Cabin John Creek and ascended along manicured paths to the garden entrance shown here. The place was extravagant in every way, even by the standards of its era. Gazebos and summer cottages were scattered along wooded paths. Forty acres of lawns overlooked
The story of the Cabin John Bridge Hotel began when Joseph Bobinger came to America from Alsace-Lorraine and found work as a stone mason on the Washington Aqueduct. His wife, Rosa, began preparing dinners each day for her husband’s chums and some of the engineers as well. Mrs. Bobinger soon opened a stand at a renovated construction shed beside the bridge where she sold cigars, snuff, candles, drinks, and pies.
In 1870, after the aqueduct was completed, the Bobingers bought one hundred acres and built the central part of their wooden hotel, modeled after a German tavern and painted a creamy yellow. As business prospered, the inn grew turrets, porches and gingerbread scrollwork.
The hotel had forty guest rooms, and space for a hundred dinners in each of its splendid banquet halls. There
When electricity arrived with the streetcar line, a thousand electric lights glowed among the trees. The Bobingers added a narrow lover’s lane bridge over the canal and later an iron bridge over the creek for trolley passengers. Its arches sparkled with five hundred colored lights.
On the garden side of the hotel they built a huge octagonal “Orchestrion,” a powered band organ the used rolls of punched paper to create the sounds of an orchestra. The music could be heard throughout the grounds.
The cool breezes, broad verandas, and the noble Cabin John Bridge brought out the crowds from the city, first by horse and buggy or bicycles, and later by trolley or automobile.
When the trolley came to Cabin John it brought huge weekend crowds. The Bobingers built a theater and a small amusement park and added slot machines. But it was the food that brought the customers back. The Bobinger’s made their own bakery goods, and offered fine wines from their well-stocked cellar. Some of the wines came from the vineyards in the valley of the Cabin John Creek. Joseph Bobinger died in May 1881. Left with two small boys, Rosa operated the hotel until her death in 1893, at which time her sons, George and William took over.
After his brother’s death, William ran the hotel through both its best and then its declining years when Prohibition cut deeply into the business and more modern attractions drew customers away. He was one of the first in the area to show motion pictures, but business continued to decline. In 1914 he leased out the hotel, and others ran it until his death in 1926 when the hotel closed.
On the night of April 7, 1931, the uninsured hotel burned, still full of antiques, silver, china and glass and its guest register full of the autographs of many prominent and famous guests. The small brick gas house next to the Cabin John tennis courts is all that remains today of the grand and luxurious Cabin John Bridge Hotel.
(Adapted from Bethesda, a Social History by William Offut.)
Erected 2001 by Cabin John Citizens Association.
Marker series. This marker is included in the Chesapeake and Ohio Canal, and the National Historic Landmarks marker series.
Location. 38° 58.355′ N, 77° 8.978′ W. Marker is in Cabin John, Maryland, in Montgomery County. Marker is on MacArthur Boulevard, on the right when traveling east. Click for map. Marker is in the turnout at the west end of the bridge/aqueduct crossing Cabin John Creek. Marker is at or near this postal address: 7400 MacArthur Blvd., Cabin John MD 20818, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. A Life of Service (approx. 0.6 miles away); A Heroine's Home (approx. 0.6 miles away); Clara Barton House (approx. 0.6 miles away); a different marker also named The Clara Barton House (approx. 0.6 miles away); Glen Echo Park: Protest Years 1960 (approx. 0.7 miles away); Glen Echo Park: Spanish Ballroom c. 1943 (approx. 0.7 miles away); Glen Echo Park: Aerial View c. 1954 (approx. 0.7 miles away); Glen Echo Park: Chautaugua c. 1891 (approx. 0.7 miles away).
More about this marker. On the top of Panel 1 is a photo of the arch as completed. In the lower section of the Panel are other photos showing the construction of the arch. One in the center shows The completed center arch of timbers–probably taken early in 1858. To the lower center is a photo of the The completed granite arch, keyed in December 1858. To the lower right are photos showing other stages of construction: Masonry construction proceeding atop the granite arch with timber centering still in place, and Timbers removed, leaving only scaffolding, the bridge stands on its own footing.
In the upper left side of Panel 2 is a photo captioned, Cabin John and the Cabin John Bridge were once prominent on the circuit of sights in Washington. There were many postcards depicting the bridge. To the upper right is a map showing locations discussed in the text. The place where you now stand as shown in a 1917 map. The hotel was destroyed by a fire in 1931, and part of the creek valley was paved over in the 1960s. The Cabin John Bridge still supplies water to the city of Washington, and the C&O Canal is now a National Park. Illustrations in the center show the Chesapeake and Ohio Canal and the Cabin John Bridge Hotel. In the lower left is a photo with the caption, The Cabin John Bridge was the gateway to our community long before the first traffic jam. This is the view from the Glen Echo side, with the Cabin John Hotel and its complex of service buildings visible. And in the lower right is a photo illustrating A view of the place where you now stand as seen from one of the upper balconies of the Cabin John Hotel.
On Panel 3 the upper left shows a photo of the hotel, captioned, The garden entrance to the hotel faced the river. The octagonal structure is the “Orchestrion.” On the upper right is a photo showing the Entrance to the foot bridge that connected the hotel grounds to the trolley terminal across Cabin John Bridge. In the right center another photo is a view Looking west across the creek valley. Part of the complex of service buildings is visible on the present site of the Clara Barton playing field. The wooden foot bridge spanning the creek predated the later iron bridge. And in the lower right of the photo set is a A view of the hotel from Conduit Road, later renamed MacArthur Blvd. This was the service entrance and the place to park your bicycle. Carriages circled to a canopied entrance on the garden side. On the lower left is a photo of A Bavarian china bowl from the hotel.
Regarding Cabin John. The Washington Aqueduct was designated a National Historic Landmark in 1973.
Although John Philip Sousa once introduced the Marine Corps Band, who performed his Washington Post March on the bandstand at the Cabin John Bridge Hotel, it was not the first performance of the piece. In fact, the first performance of the march was actually in 1889 on the grounds of the Smithsonian Institution in Washington, D.C.
Also see . . .
1. Cabin John History. (Submitted on April 11, 2009, by Richard E. Miller of Oxon Hill, Maryland.)
2. Union Arch Bridge. (Submitted on April 11, 2009, by Richard E. Miller of Oxon Hill, Maryland.)
3. Cabin John: Legends and Life of an Uncommon Place. by Judith Welles. (Submitted on September 22, 2009, by Richard E. Miller of Oxon Hill, Maryland.)
Additional keywords. Washington Aqueduct National Historic Landmark
Categories. • Bridges & Viaducts • Man-Made Features • Waterways & Vessels •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Richard E. Miller of Oxon Hill, Maryland. This page has been viewed 2,133 times since then and 87 times this year. Last updated on , by Judith Welles of Cabin John, Maryland. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on , by Richard E. Miller of Oxon Hill, Maryland. 7. submitted on . • Kevin W. was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.