Jasper in Pickens County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
Old Federal Road
The Federal Road was the first vehicular thoroughfare west of the Chattahoochee, the earliest postal route of this section of the State, and a leading emigrant trace to Tennessee and North Alabama. Kentucky and Tennessee stock man drove animals down this artery to Southeastern markets.
Erected 1954 by Georgia Historical Commission. (Marker Number 112-3B.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Georgia Historical Society/Commission marker series.
Location. 34° 27.301′ N, 84° 24.481′ W. Marker is in Jasper, Georgia, in Pickens County. Marker is on East Church Street (Georgia Route 53) 0.1 miles south of Old Tate Highway, on the right when traveling north. Click for map. Marker is in this post office area: Jasper GA 30143, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 8 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. A different marker also named Old Federal Road (approx. 1.6 miles Pickens County (approx. 1.6 miles away); Old Pickens County Jail (approx. 1.7 miles away); Oglethorpe Monument (approx. 1.7 miles away); Georgia Marble Company and the Village of Tate (approx. 3.1 miles away); a different marker also named Old Federal Road (approx. 3.7 miles away but has been reported missing); Site of Carmel (Taloney) Mission Station (approx. 7.9 miles away); a different marker also named Old Federal Road (approx. 8 miles away but has been reported missing). Click for a list of all markers in Jasper.
Categories. • Antebellum South, US • Native Americans • Roads & Vehicles •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. This page has been viewed 703 times since then and 10 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on , by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.