Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Long Valley in Morris County, New Jersey — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
 

Old Stone Union Church

1774

 
 
Old Stone Union Church Marker image. Click for full size.
By Alan Edelson, September 23, 2009
1. Old Stone Union Church Marker
Inscription. The site of the pastorate of Henry M. Muhlenberg D.D. Known as the father of Lutheranism in America
 
Erected by Morris County Heritage Commission.
 
Marker series. This marker is included in the New Jersey, Morris County Heritage Commission marker series.
 
Location. 40° 47.179′ N, 74° 46.771′ W. Marker is in Long Valley, New Jersey, in Morris County. Marker is on Fairview Avenue, on the left when traveling north. Click for map. Marker is in this post office area: Long Valley NJ 07853, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 3 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. German Valley School Bell (within shouting distance of this marker); German Valley (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); a different marker also named German Valley (about 400 feet away); German Valley Bridge (about 500 feet away); Obadiah Latourette Grist and Saw Mill (about 700 feet away); Schooley's Mountain Historic District (approx. 2.1 miles away); Washington Township Veterans Memorial (approx. 2.1 miles away); Hacklebarney (approx. 3.1 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Long Valley.
 
Categories. Cemeteries & Burial SitesChurches, Etc.
 
Old Stone Union Church image. Click for full size.
By Alan Edelson, September 23, 2009
2. Old Stone Union Church
Old Stone Union Church & Graveyard image. Click for full size.
By Alan Edelson, September 23, 2009
3. Old Stone Union Church & Graveyard
Cemetery Display in Churchyard image. Click for full size.
By Alan Edelson, September 23, 2009
4. Cemetery Display in Churchyard
German Valley Union Churchyard
The first European settlers of German Valley (renamed to Long Valley during World War I) arrived in 1738. Lutheran and German Reformed (which became Presbyterian in 1813) residents erected a log church as early as 1747 for joint use as a place of worship. On February 4, 1774, the two groups signed an agreement to build a new union church of more substantial size and materials; this church was used for 58 years.

In 1832, the two groups built their own churches: the Evangelical Lutheran Church was built about 500 feet to the southwest of the old stone church (still in use - Zion Lutheran Church), and the Presbyterian Church was located 500 feet farther in the same direction (this congregation is now the Long Valley Presbyterian Church on Bartley Road). By 1890, the old union church was already in a state of decay, with most of its roof gone and stonework crumbling.

In its earliest days, a burial ground was associated with the stone church. The following list is compiled primarily from the work of Miss Ginerva Freeman about 1905 and Donald A. Sinclair and Isaac Philhower in 1940 and published in "The Genealogical Magazine of New Jersey", September 1974. Please note: Names marked with an asterisk (*) indicate no stone for this person, only the name is mentioned on a stone, among other names; Names together indicate husband, wife and children. For futher information, contact Washington Township Historical Society, P.O. Box 189, Long Valley, NJ 07853 (Telephone 908-876-9696)

161 names are listed on the display
 
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Alan Edelson of Union Twsp., New Jersey. This page has been viewed 1,340 times since then and 33 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on , by Alan Edelson of Union Twsp., New Jersey. • Syd Whittle was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement