Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Heathsville in Northumberland County, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
 

St. Stephen’s Parish

 
 
St. Stephen’s Parish Marker image. Click for full size.
By J. J. Prats, August 30, 2009
1. St. Stephen’s Parish Marker
Inscription. Formed in 1653 as Chickacone Parish and renamed Fairfield in 1664. The upper part was known locally as Bowtracy Parish. When St. Stephen’s Parish was formed in 1698, Fairfield became its lower part and Bowtracy its upper part.
 
Erected 1984 by Virginia State Library. (Marker Number O-49.)
 
Location. 37° 55.183′ N, 76° 28.45′ W. Marker is in Heathsville, Virginia, in Northumberland County. Marker is on Northumberland Highway (U.S. 360) just west of Courthouse Road (Virginia Route 201), on the left when traveling east. Click for map. Marker is in this post office area: Heathsville VA 22473, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Rice’s Hotel, Hughlett’s Tavern (approx. 0.2 miles away); Freedom for Slaves of Robert Carter III (approx. 0.2 miles away); Northumberland Courthouse Square (approx. 0.2 miles away); Northumberland County Confederate Monument
St. Stephen’s Church and Marker image. Click for full size.
By J. J. Prats, August 30, 2009
2. St. Stephen’s Church and Marker
(approx. 0.2 miles away); John Heath (approx. 0.3 miles away); Northumberland House and Mantua (approx. 1.5 miles away); British Raids on the Coan River (approx. 1.9 miles away); Coan Baptist Church (approx. 1.9 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Heathsville.
 
Additional keywords. Church of England, Episcopal Church, Anglican Church
 
Categories. Churches, Etc.
 
St. Stephen’s Church, Heathsville, Virginia image. Click for full size.
By J. J. Prats, August 30, 2009
3. St. Stephen’s Church, Heathsville, Virginia
This 1881 church was designed by T. Buckler Ghequiere of Baltimore in the Victorian Carpenter Gothic style. It is on the Virginia Register of Historic Landmarks.
 
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by J. J. Prats of Springfield, Virginia. This page has been viewed 3,270 times since then and 457 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on , by J. J. Prats of Springfield, Virginia. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement