New Milford in Litchfield County, Connecticut — The American Northeast (New England)
This beautiful valley known to the Potatuck Indians as Weantinock, was purchased from them in 1703 by a company of individuals chiefly from Milford, Connecticut, hence the name New Milford. Its earliest white inhabitant, Zachariah Ferriss, arrived in 1706, followed in 1707 by the first permanent settlers, John Noble, his daughter Sarah, and John Bostwick. The area, originally a plantation, was incorporated with the first twelve families in 1712 as the forty-seventh Connecticut town. Daniel Boardman was called in that year to be the town’s initial minister. Here on this site was erected the first meetinghouse in 1721. The earliest school opened in 1729. During the summer of 1725, William Gaylord moved farther up the Housatonic River and settled the area now known as Gaylordsville. The first bridge over this river from sea to source was erected west of this site in 1737.
After the Lexington alarm in 1775, some 285 men enlisted in the Continental Army. Many of these men in Captain Isaac Bostwick’s Company crossed the Delaware River with General Washington on the night of December 25, 1776 to fight the battle of Trenton. Roger Sherman, settled here in 1748, represented New Milford in the General Assembly in 1755 and from 1758 to 1761. He was the only man to sign
Erected 1976 by Town of New Milford, American Revolution Bicentennial Committee, Connecticut Historical Commission.
Location. 41° 34.855′ N, 73° 24.733′ W. Marker is in New Milford, Connecticut, in Litchfield County. Marker is at the intersection of Aspetuck Avenue and Elm Street, on the right when traveling north on Aspetuck Avenue. Click for map. Located next to the New Milford Historical Society and Museum. The property was formerly owned by the Knapp Family. The bell from Admiral Knapp’s flagship is located on the Town Green (see marker: Ships Bell of the U.S.S. Pittsburgh). The property was acquired by The New Milford Historical Society by gift of the late Miss Mary Clissold Knapp. Marker is at or near this postal address: 6 Aspetuck Avenue, New Milford CT 06776, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. Lincoln Herm (within shouting distance of this marker); Ships Bell of the U.S.S. Pittsburgh (approx. 0.2 miles away); New Milford WW I Memorial (approx. 0.2 miles away); New Milford Civil War Memorial (approx. 0.2 miles away); Home Site Of Roger Sherman (approx. ¼ mile away); New Milford Veterans Monument (approx. 0.3 miles away); New Milford WW II Memorial (approx. 0.3 miles away); Bridgeport Wood Finishing Company (approx. 2.6 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in New Milford.
Categories. • Colonial Era • Settlements & Settlers • War, US Revolutionary •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Michael Herrick of Southbury, Connecticut. This page has been viewed 1,335 times since then and 5 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on , by Michael Herrick of Southbury, Connecticut. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.