Columbus in Muscogee County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
Col. W. L. Salisbury
Inscription. This park is named for Col. W. L. Salisbury (1830-1878), soldier, editor, banker, distinguished citizen of Columbus whose contribution to progress and culture in his native city was outstanding. His home was on the east side of this block. He was a member of the Georgia Greys, Fifth Georgia Regiment, the second group from Columbus to join the Confederate army. A major from early in the war, he fought with honor in many engagements. Col. Salisbury was a leader of a group of citizens whose activity and influence helped establish, in 1867, a public school in Columbus, one of the first Southern cities to have a public school system. Owner and publisher of the Columbus Enquirer-Sun, he met a tragic death as the result of an editorial carried in his paper. His funeral procession one of the largest in Columbus history, extended from this site to Linwood Cemetery with 5,000 people in line, the majority walking. There were three military companies, two fire companies, several fraternal orders. School children, white and colored, stood at attention as the cortege passed then joined the procession. All businesses closed; flags were at half mast; bells tolled. At the time of his death, Col. Salisbury was the oldest native-born white citizen of Columbus.
By David Seibert, August 25, 2009
1. Col. W. L. Salisbury Marker
Erected 1957 by Georgia Historical Commission. (Marker
By David Seibert, August 25, 2009
2. Col. W. L. Salisbury Marker
The marker is to the left. To the right is the Confederate monument, erected in 1897. It is unusual in that instead of the usual Confederate soldier topping the shaft, it is an oberlisk topped by a funeral urn. Since 1959 the median here has been the site of the Salisbury Fair, a civic gathering for area residents.
Marker series. This marker is included in the Georgia Historical Society/Commission marker series.
Location. 32° 27.593′ N, 84° 59.597′ W. Marker is in Columbus, Georgia, in Muscogee County. Marker is on Broadway 0 miles north of 7th Street, in the median. Click for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 712 Broadway, Columbus GA 31901, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Walker – Peters – Langdon House (a few steps from this marker); Dr. Pembertonís Country Home (within shouting distance of this marker); Woodruff Farm House and Log Cabin (within shouting distance of this marker); 700 Broadway (within shouting distance of this marker); The Pemberton House (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Columbusí First Theater (about 600 feet away); The Joseph House (approx. 0.2 miles away); Early Residences (approx. 0.2 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Columbus.
Additional keywords. Newspaper
Categories. • Antebellum South, US • Communications • Education • Notable Persons • War, US Civil •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. This page has been viewed 1,313 times since then and 6 times this year. Last updated on , by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on , by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. • Kevin W. was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.