HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
            “Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
  Home  — My Markers  — Add A Marker  — Marker Series  — Links & Books  — Forum  — About Us
Summerville in Dorchester County, South Carolina — The American South (South Atlantic)
Parish Church of St. George, Dorchester
 
Parish Church of St. George, Dorchester Marker Photo, Click for full size
By Mike Stroud, 2009
1. Parish Church of St. George, Dorchester Marker
 
Inscription. St. George's, an Anglican parish, was erected in 1717. A brick church 50 ft. long and 30 ft. wide with a chancel 15 by 5 feet, begun in August 1719, was enlarged in the 1730's. The tower was built before 1753 and in 1766 held four bells. Burned by the British in the Revolution, the church was partially repaired and used afterwards, but as the congregation moved away, it fell into decay.
 
Erected 1953 by S.C. State Commission of Forestry, Division of State Parks. (Marker Number 18-2.)
 
Location. 32° 56.947′ N, 80° 10.207′ W. Marker is in Summerville, South Carolina, in Dorchester County. Marker is on State Park Road, on the right when traveling south. Click for map. Located .4 miles south of Dorchester Road ( State Road 642 ). Marker is in this post office area: Summerville SC 29485, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The Bell Tower of St. George's (within shouting distance of this marker); Dorchester Free School (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Colonial Dorchester (about 400 feet away); a different marker also named Colonial Dorchester (about 400 feet away); Linking Places and People (about 400 feet away); Old Dorchester (about 500 feet away); a different marker also named Colonial Dorchester (about 500 feet away); Fort Dorchester (about 600 feet away). Click for a list of all markers in Summerville.
 
Parish Church of St. George, Dorchester Marker as seen along State Park Rd Photo, Click for full size
By Mike Stroud, September 13, 2009
2. Parish Church of St. George, Dorchester Marker as seen along State Park Rd
 

 
Also see . . .  Colonial Dorchester State Historic Site. Intact remains of the old town include the brick bell tower of St. George’s Anglican Church (Submitted on October 1, 2009, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina.) 
 
Marker, seen from just inside the Colonial Dorchester Historic Site park Photo, Click for full size
By Mike Stroud, September 13, 2009
3. Marker, seen from just inside the Colonial Dorchester Historic Site park
 
 
Parish Church of St. George, Dorchester Bell Tower, east face Photo, Click for full size
By Mike Stroud, September 13, 2009
4. Parish Church of St. George, Dorchester Bell Tower, east face
 
 
Parish Church of St. George, Bell tower south face Photo, Click for full size
By Mike Stroud, September 13, 2009
5. Parish Church of St. George, Bell tower south face
 
 
Parish Church of St. George, Bell Tower as mentioned, and Cemetery Photo, Click for full size
By Mike Stroud, September 13, 2009
6. Parish Church of St. George, Bell Tower as mentioned, and Cemetery
 
 
Parish Church of St. George Gravesite Photo, Click for full size
By Mike Stroud, September 13, 2009
7. Parish Church of St. George Gravesite
In memory of James Postell Esquire
"He died a good Christian...
8 April 1777..."
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on October 1, 2009, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 960 times since then. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7. submitted on October 1, 2009, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.
 
Recommend or Share This Page.  
Share on Tumblr


•••
More Search Options
 
Markers
Near You

 
Categories

 
States & Provinces

 
Counties
Click to List


 
Countries

Page composed
in 658 ms.

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
To search within this page, hold down the Ctrl key and press F.
On an Apple computer,
hold down the Apple key and press F.