“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Bluff City in Sullivan County, Tennessee — The American South (East South Central)

Womack's Old Fort

Womack's Old Fort Marker image. Click for full size.
By Stanley and Terrie Howard, September 27, 2009
1. Womack's Old Fort Marker
Inscription. 2.1 Mi. E. on Island Park Road and on hill to left above the spring stood the residence fort of Captain Jacob Womack, who served in colonial & Revolutionary wars. Built before 1774 it served to protect nearby settlers from Indian attacks. About 1785 Capt. Womack moved farther west and the fort was abandoned.
Erected by Tennessee Historical Commission. (Marker Number 1A 80.)
Location. 36° 28.67′ N, 82° 15.787′ W. Marker is in Bluff City, Tennessee, in Sullivan County. Marker is at the intersection of Bluff City Highway (Tennessee Route 37) and Silver Grove Road on Bluff City Highway. Click for map. Marker is in this post office area: Bluff City TN 37618, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 6 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Bluff City (approx. 0.4 miles away); Edward Cox Home (approx. 1.3 miles away); Battle of Blountville (approx. 5.1 miles away); The Cannonball House (approx. 5.2 miles away); Anderson Townhouse (approx. 5.2 miles away); Ralph Blizard (approx. 5.2 miles away); Old Deery Inn (approx. 5.2 miles away); a different marker also named Old Deery Inn (approx. 5.2 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Bluff City.
Categories. Forts, CastlesSettlements & SettlersWar, US RevolutionaryWars, US Indian
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Stanley and Terrie Howard of Greer, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 939 times since then and 74 times this year. Photo   1. submitted on , by Stanley and Terrie Howard of Greer, South Carolina. • Kevin W. was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement