Ware Shoals in Laurens County, South Carolina — The American South (South Atlantic)
This store, first known as Daniel’s store or the “Beehive,” was built before the Civil War by James Wright Daniel (1814-1904) and several business partners. In 1878 James Martin (1815-1879) bought the store from the other partners and became sole owner until his death early the next year. Martin’s son J.C. Martin (1861-1949) and his grandsons ran this general store for the next 119 years.
The grandsons, J.Y. Martin (1906-1969) and J.H. Martin (1907-2000) continued to operate the store until it closed in 1997. It sold groceries, dry goods, automotive and farm supplies; was a polling place; housed a doctor’s office and was the site of many community gatherings. The Masons, the Grange, and the Woodmen of the World held meetings on the second floor for many years.
Erected 2004 by Laurens County Historical Society. (Marker Number 30-11.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the South Carolina, Laurens County Historical Society marker series.
Location. 34° 23.95′ N, 82° 11.817′ W. Marker is in Ware Shoals, South Carolina, in Laurens County. Marker is on Indian Mound Road east of Madden Road, on the right when traveling Click for map. Marker is in this post office area: Ware Shoals SC 29692, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 10 other markers are within 7 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Western Laurens Volunteer Fire Department (approx. 1.2 miles away); The William T. Jones, III Bridge (approx. 1.6 miles away); Irvin Pitts Park / Ware Shoals (approx. 2.4 miles away); Marion P. Carnell Bridge (approx. 2.5 miles away); Benjamin DeWitt Riegel (approx. 2.8 miles away); Ware Shoals Veterans Memorial (approx. 2.8 miles away); Good Hope Baptist Church (approx. 4 miles away); Mt. Bethel United Methodist Church (approx. 5.6 miles away); Lindley's Fort / Jonathan Downs (approx. 6.3 miles away); Greenville Presbyterian Church (approx. 6.9 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Ware Shoals.
1. James Wright Daniel
James Wright Daniel, a son of the Revolutionary soldier, was a native of Laurens County and was a merchant and farmer, a justice of the peace, and a man of the finest integrity and an unusual balance of character. James Wright Daniel married Eliza Anderson, whose grandfather, William Anderson, came from County Antrim, Ireland, to Charleston in 1792. He soon afterward settled in the upper part of Abbeville
— Submitted October 3, 2009, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina.
Categories. • Industry & Commerce • Notable Buildings •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 1,597 times since then and 44 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7. submitted on , by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.