“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Columbus in Muscogee County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)

Liberty Hill Baptist Church

Liberty Hill Baptist Church Marker image. Click for full size.
By David Seibert, December 29, 2006
1. Liberty Hill Baptist Church Marker
Inscription. Organized in 1869 by slaves, the first church building was built on land donated by Mrs. Emma Jones and Mrs. Nora Felton. The church was called the Bush Arbor Church because the construction and materials used. Reverend Phil Owens was the first pastor. A permanent church was built in 1875. It was a white wooden structure that served as the first school in the area as well as the meeting place for the International Benevolent Society. Renamed Liberty Hill Baptist Church, Inc. in 1956, the church continues to grow and is known as “The Little Church with the Big Heart.”
Erected 2005 by Historic Chattahoochee Commission and Liberty Hill Baptist Church.
Location. 32° 29.325′ N, 84° 52.26′ W. Marker is in Columbus, Georgia, in Muscogee County. Marker is at the intersection of Forest Avenue and Omaha Drive, on the right when traveling east on Forest Avenue. Click for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 6804 Forest Avenue, Columbus GA 31907, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 6 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Samuel Cooper (approx. 3.5 miles away); 1918 Diamond Jubilee 1993 Camp Benning / Fort Benning (approx. 4.9 miles away); “Blind Tom” (approx. 5 miles away); Carson McCullers (approx. 5.1 miles away); He Helped Bring And Keep Fort Benning (approx. 5.1 miles away); Wynnton School Library (approx. 5.3 miles away); Radcliff School (approx. 5.3 miles away); Leonard Spring (approx. 5.4 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Columbus.
Categories. African AmericansChurches, Etc.
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. This page has been viewed 639 times since then and 51 times this year. Photo   1. submitted on , by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. • Kevin W. was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Editor’s want-list for this marker. A wide shot of the marker and its surroundings. • Can you help?
Paid Advertisement