Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Fayetteville in Fayette County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
 

Flat Rock African Methodist Episcopal Church

 
 
Flat Rock African Methodist Episcopal Church Marker image. Click for full size.
By David Seibert, December 29, 2006
1. Flat Rock African Methodist Episcopal Church Marker
Inscription. Today’s Flat Rock AME Church originated in 1854 as a place of worship for slaves on nearby Spears Plantation, and it is believed to be the oldest African-American congregation in Fayette County. Originally known as Rocky Mount, the church moved after the Civil War and was known for a time as Scufflefield. By 1898 the church, now called Flat Rock AME, and the adjoining cemetery were established at this location. Like many African-American churches during the era of segregated schooling, Flat Rock served both the spiritual and educational needs of the community. The congregation was also involved in the establishment of several local congregations including Little Vine Baptist Church, Edgefield Baptist Church, and Wilkes Grove.
 
Erected 2006 by Georgia Historical Society, the Fayette County Historical Society, and the Fayette Heritage Project. (Marker Number 56-4.)
 
Marker series. This marker is included in the Georgia Historical Society/Commission marker series.
 
Location. 33° 26.723′ N, 84° 31.364′ W. Marker is in Fayetteville, Georgia, in Fayette County. Marker is on Old Chapel Lane 0 miles east of West Lanier Avenue (Georgia Route 54), on the right when traveling east. Click for map.
Flat Rock African Methodist Episcopal Church Marker image. Click for full size.
By J. Makali Bruton
2. Flat Rock African Methodist Episcopal Church Marker
The marker is directly in front of the church entrance.
Marker is at or near this postal address: 148 Old Chapel Lane, Fayetteville GA 30215, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 7 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Skirmish at Shakerag (approx. 2 miles away); The Holliday-Dorsey-Fife House (approx. 3.9 miles away); Governor Hugh M. Dorsey (approx. 3.9 miles away); Fayette County (approx. 3.9 miles away); In Memory of the Confederate Heroes (approx. 3.9 miles away); World’s Longest Courthouse Bench (approx. 3.9 miles away); Palmer Family Cemetery (approx. 4.6 miles away); Holly Grove African Methodist Episcopal Church (approx. 6.2 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Fayetteville.
 
Categories. African AmericansChurches, Etc.Education
 
Flat Rock African Methodist Episcopal Church dedicatory markers image. Click for full size.
By J. Makali Bruton
3. Flat Rock African Methodist Episcopal Church dedicatory markers
Oldest Black Church
in Fayette County
Established 1854
 
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. This page has been viewed 1,003 times since then and 5 times this year. Photos:   1. submitted on , by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia.   2, 3. submitted on , by J. Makali Bruton of Querétaro, Mexico. • Kevin W. was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement