Rocklin in Placer County, California — The American West (Pacific Coastal)
Old St. Mary’s
͠ Dedicated 1883 ͠
St. Mary’s served the Catholic communities of Rocklin and Loomis for 100 years. In 1983 the congregation moved to a new facility, SS. Peter and Paul’s on Granite Drive. Ownership changed; The building served the Church of Religious Science, and later, the Baptist faith. Ultimately, Rocklin’s only remaining 19th Century public building fell to disrepair on a Front Street knoll 400 yards south of this spot.
Rocklin Historical Society developed a plan to save St. Mary’s from demolition and restore her. The Keller family donated the building, the City of Rocklin established Heritage Park. On Sept. 17, 2005 hundreds of citizens pulled St. Mary’s to the park. Two years later on Sept. 21, 2007 a new steeple was lifted into place completing the restoration. More than 400 individuals and organizations had participated in the project. St. Mary’s was once again ready to serve the community as “Old St. Mary’s Chapel".
Erected by Rocklin Historical Society.
Location. 38° Click for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 5251 Front Street, Rocklin CA 95677, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 4 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Trott Hotel (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Rocklin (about 300 feet away); The Fletcher Moon House (approx. 0.2 miles away); Rocklin Veterans Memorial (approx. 0.3 miles away); The Finnish Temperance Hall (approx. 0.4 miles away); Loomis (approx. 3.2 miles away); Loomis Town Hall (approx. 3.2 miles away); Loomis - Transcontinental Railroad (approx. 3.2 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Rocklin.
Also see . . .
1. Rocklin Historical Society. A slide show – Photos of moving the building to its current site. First photos are of the building at its original site. (Submitted on October 4, 2009, by Syd Whittle of El Dorado Hills, California.)
2. Saint Mary's through the Years. (Submitted on October 17, 2009, by Syd Whittle of El Dorado Hills, California.)
1. St. Mary's of the Assumption Catholic Church
The church was originally located at 5240 Front St. between Farron and C Streets. The church was constructed during 1882-1883. Father John Leahy was the first resident priest.
Source: City of Rocklin - Historic Sites. www.rocklin.ca.gov/residents/history/landmarks.asp
— Submitted October 16, 2009, by Syd Whittle of El Dorado Hills, California.
Categories. • Churches, Etc. • Notable Buildings •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Syd Whittle of El Dorado Hills, California. This page has been viewed 1,181 times since then and 9 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7. submitted on , by Syd Whittle of El Dorado Hills, California. 8. submitted on , by Syd Whittle of El Dorado Hills, California. 9. submitted on , by Syd Whittle of El Dorado Hills, California. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.