Cahaba in Dallas County, Alabama — The American South (East South Central)
Dallas County Courthouse
Cahawba was the county seat from 1818 to 1866. This brought a lot of people, business and money into town. When the county seat was moved to Selma in 1866, most of Cahaba's residents moved also.
After the Civil War, the abandoned courthouse became a meeting hall for freedman seeking new political power. Cahaba was known as the "Mecca of the Radical Republican Party." This was shortlived, and by 1879 a steam-powered cotton gin was being operated in this structure.
Erected by Alabama Historical Commission.
Location. 32° 19.081′ N, 87° 5.778′ W. Marker is in Cahaba, Alabama, in Dallas County. Marker is on Vine Street, on the right when traveling north. Click for map. Marker is in this post office area: Orrville AL 36767, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Saltmarsh Hall (within shouting distance of this marker); Commissary - R.R. Depot (within shouting distance of this marker); Cahaba First State Capital (about 300 feet away, Vine Street (about 300 feet away); Alabama's First Statehouse (about 300 feet away); Cahaba Drug Store (about 400 feet away); Crocheron's Row (about 500 feet away); The Old Brick Store (about 500 feet away). Click for a list of all markers in Cahaba.
Also see . . . Old Cahawba, "Alabama's most famous Ghost Town". (Submitted on October 4, 2009, by Timothy Carr of Birmingham, Alabama.)
Categories. • African Americans • Antebellum South, US • Government • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Timothy Carr of Birmingham, Alabama. This page has been viewed 1,824 times since then and 7 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on , by Timothy Carr of Birmingham, Alabama. • Kevin W. was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.