Charleston in Kanawha County, West Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
Saved by two historic rides for powder. Ann Bailey on horseback through wilderness to Lewisburg and return. Fleming Cobbs poled down Kanawha River to Point Pleasant and return.
This boulder is established to commemorate Clendennin's Fort which was built in 1788 for the protection of the early settlers against the Indians and stood here.
Erected 1915 by Kanawha Valley Chapter Daughters of the American Revolution.
Marker series. This marker is included in the Daughters of the American Revolution marker series.
Location. 38° 20.664′ N, 81° 37.95′ W. Marker is in Charleston, West Virginia, in Kanawha County. Marker is at the intersection of Kanawha Boulevard and Brooks Street, on the left when traveling south on Kanawha Boulevard. Click for map. Marker is in this post office area: Charleston WV 25301, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Fort Lee (within shouting distance of this marker); First Gas Well (within shouting distance of this marker); William Blizzard (about 700 feet away, measured in a direct Battle of Charleston (approx. ¼ mile away); The Block (approx. 0.4 miles away); State Capitol (approx. 0.4 miles away); a different marker also named The Block (approx. half a mile away); Military Occupation (approx. 0.6 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Charleston.
Related marker. Click here for another marker that is related to this marker. Ann Bailey, Point Pleasant, WV
Categories. • Forts, Castles • Native Americans • War, French and Indian • War, US Revolutionary •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Michael Sean Nix of Spartanburg, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 1,829 times since then and 24 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on , by Michael Sean Nix of Spartanburg, South Carolina. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.