Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Atlanta in Fulton County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
 

The Evangelical Lutheran Church of the Redeemer

 
 
The Evangelical Lutheran Church of the Redeemer Marker image. Click for full size.
By David Seibert, March 13, 2005
1. The Evangelical Lutheran Church of the Redeemer Marker
Inscription. The Lutheran Church of the Redeemer was founded in 1903 as the first English-speaking congregation in Atlanta. The church’s first building was erected in 1905 near the state capitol. The church moved in 1937 to Peachtree and Fourth Streets where in 1952 its current structure was completed. Designed by Harold Wagoner of Philadelphia, the gothic structure is of Tennessee quartzite and Indiana limestone. Redeemer, founded by thirty-nine people, grew in one hundred years to become the largest Lutheran congregation in Georgia, Alabama, Mississippi and Tennessee, which comprise the Southern Synod of Evangelical Lutheran Church in America.
 
Erected 2000 by Georgia Historical Society and Lutheran Church of the Redeemer. (Marker Number 060-5.)
 
Marker series. This marker is included in the Georgia Historical Society/Commission marker series.
 
Location. 33° 46.477′ N, 84° 23.08′ W. Marker is in Atlanta, Georgia, in Fulton County. Marker is at the intersection of Peachtree Road NE and 4th Street, on the right when traveling north on Peachtree Road NE. Click for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 731 Peachtree Road NE, Atlanta GA 30308, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. James J. Andrews (about 600 feet away, measured in a direct line); The Georgian Terrace Hotel (about 800 feet away); Academy of Medicine (approx. 0.3 miles away); Margaret Mitchell House (approx. half a mile away); Sector of Siege Line (approx. half a mile away); Baltimore Block (approx. half a mile away); Saint Luke’s Episcopal Church (approx. 0.6 miles away); Georgia Institute of Technology (approx. 0.6 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Atlanta.
 
Categories. 20th CenturyChurches, Etc.
 
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. This page has been viewed 569 times since then and 13 times this year. Photo   1. submitted on , by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
 
Editor’s want-list for this marker. Photp of current church and a wide shot of the marker and its surroundings. • Can you help?
Paid Advertisement