“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Lockbourne in Franklin County, Ohio — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)

Historic Lockbourne

Historic Lockbourne Marker (side A) image. Click for full size.
By William Fischer, Jr., October 23, 2008
1. Historic Lockbourne Marker (side A)
Inscription. (Side A):
Anticipating a boom in canal commerce, Colonel James Kilbourne (1770-1850) platted Lockbourne in 1831 at the junction of the Ohio-Erie Canal and the Columbus Feeder, which was completed the same year. Lockbourne derives its name from the numerous canal locks at this site and Kilbourne's own surname. During the heyday of the canal era, Lockbourne boasted the Canal House Hotel, several taverns, a stock yard, a distillery, a sawmill, and a gristmill which used the head of water at Lock 30 for power.

(Side B):
The Monypeny distillery, for many years Lockbourne's largest industry, produced 100 barrels of whiskey a day and was located at the east end of town. The distillery owned two canal boats, the Magnolia and the Cruiser. At the intersection of the main canal and the Columbus feeder stood a transfer warehouse for transshipping freight between boats. Howlett's Mill was built as a canal warehouse at the west end of Commerce Street in 1842 and converted to a gristmill in 1863. Construction of the Chesapeake & Ohio Railroad grade obliterated Lock 28, the north canal basin, and the distillery site.
Erected 2000 by Martin Marietta Aggregates, The Lockbourne Heritage Society, and The Ohio Historical Society. (Marker Number 29-25.)
Marker series.
Historic Lockbourne Marker (side B) image. Click for full size.
By William Fischer, Jr., October 23, 2008
2. Historic Lockbourne Marker (side B)
This marker is included in the Ohio Historical Society / The Ohio History Connection marker series.
Location. 39° 48.548′ N, 82° 58.098′ W. Marker is in Lockbourne, Ohio, in Franklin County. Marker is at the intersection of Commerce Street and Decker Street, on the left when traveling west on Commerce Street. Click for map. Marker is in this post office area: Lockbourne OH 43137, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 4 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Ohio-Erie Canal and Locks / The Columbus Feeder Canal (approx. 0.2 miles away); Lockbourne Veterans' Memorial (approx. 0.2 miles away); A-7D "Corsair II" (approx. 1.2 miles away); F-84F "Thunderstreak" (approx. 1.2 miles away); F-100D "Super Sabre" (approx. 1.2 miles away); Captain Eddie Rickenbacker (approx. 1.7 miles away); Tuskegee Airmen (approx. 1.7 miles away); The Borror Family / Borror's Corners (approx. 3.6 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Lockbourne.
Categories. Industry & CommerceNotable PersonsNotable PlacesWaterways & Vessels
Historic Lockbourne Marker image. Click for full size.
By William Fischer, Jr., October 23, 2008
3. Historic Lockbourne Marker
Looking northeast.
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by William Fischer, Jr. of Fort Scott, Kansas. This page has been viewed 1,051 times since then and 144 times this year. Last updated on , by Il Distratto of Lockbourne, Ohio. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on , by William Fischer, Jr. of Fort Scott, Kansas. • Kevin W. was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement