Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Moncks Corner in Berkeley County, South Carolina — The American South (South Atlantic)
 

Stony Landing House

Circa 1840-1850

 
 
Stony Landing House Marker image. Click for full size.
By Mike Stroud, 2009
1. Stony Landing House Marker
Inscription. The Stony Landing House was built on land which was once part of the 12,000 acre Fairlawn Barony. Fairlawn was granted to Sir Peter Colleton, son of Lords Proprietor John Colleton, on September 7, 1678. John H. Dawson purchased 2,319 acres on March 20, 1839 from the Colleton Estate. He built this house as a planter's secondary home facing the Congaree Road, a major trade route of the early Carolinas. In comparison to the more elegant river homes of the time, Stony Landing was small and noted for its simplicity. It was constructed on brick pillars about 8 feet above ground. Some suggested reasons for this type of construction were to provide additional storage space, to increase air flow through the house, or to provide a cool shaded area for outdoor use during summer months. The arches under the house, a common architectural feature, support the fireplaces located on each floor.

The Stony Landing House has been remodeled through the years. It has been restored to its 1840's appearance and has been finished with reproduction furniture commonly, found throughout the southeast during the mid 19th century.

Some of the more notable residents of the Stony Landing House were:
Dr. St. Julien Ravenel-medical doctor, chemist, historian and designer of the Little David, the first submersible torpedo boat.

Rembert C.
Stony Landing House Marker, west side of the house image. Click for full size.
By Mike Stroud, September 29, 2009
2. Stony Landing House Marker, west side of the house
Dennis - State Senator from Berkeley County from 1943 - 1988.
 
Location. 33° 11.573′ N, 79° 58.197′ W. Marker is in Moncks Corner, South Carolina, in Berkeley County. Marker can be reached from Old Stony Landing Road. Click for map. Located at the west side of the house, in Old Santee Canal State Park. Marker is in this post office area: Moncks Corner SC 29461, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Colleton House: “Unmanly Practices” or Legitimate Target? (about 600 feet away, measured in a direct line); Fort Fair Lawn: An Archeaological Treasure (about 600 feet away); C.S.S. David (approx. 0.2 miles away); Berkeley County Confederate Monument (approx. 0.2 miles away); Santee Canal (approx. ľ mile away); Wadboo Barony (approx. one mile away); Wadboo Barony: Francis Marionís Last Headquarters (approx. one mile away); First Site of Moncks Corner (approx. 1.3 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Moncks Corner.
 
Also see . . .  Old Santee Canal Park- Stony Landing House. The house was built up on 8' brick pillars and was very often used for picnics. (Submitted on October 8, 2009, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina.) 
 
Categories. Colonial EraPoliticsWar, US Civil
 
Stony Landing House , southside view image. Click for full size.
By Mike Stroud, September 29, 2009
3. Stony Landing House , southside view
Stony Landing House , east view image. Click for full size.
By Mike Stroud, September 29, 2009
4. Stony Landing House , east view
Stony Landing House image. Click for full size.
Dept. of the Navy - Naval Historical Center, circa 1865
5. Stony Landing House
Photo # 165-C- 751 Confederate "David" type torpedo boat Charleston, SC,
 
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 1,155 times since then and 8 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on , by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement