Kennesaw in Cobb County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
June 9. Garrard’s cav. [US] (dismounted), forced withdrawal of Benton’s Mississippi Brigade [CS] from positions N. of Big shanty, to a line at the Summers house -- later, to one several hundred yds. S. at the Roberts farm.
This latter line became the 1st position of McPherson’s 15th, 16th & 17th Corps [US] which were later shifted S. to the Brushy Mtn. line. From June 9 to July 3, 25 dys., Federal & Confederate forces battled on a ten-mile front.
Erected 1954 by Georgia Historical Commission. (Marker Number 033-46.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Georgia Historical Society/Commission marker series.
Location. 34° 0.656′ N, 84° 36.394′ W. Marker is in Kennesaw, Georgia, in Cobb County. Marker is on Old Highway 41 NW (Georgia Route 293) 0 miles north of Airport Road NW, on the right when traveling south. Click for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 2395 Old Highway 41 NW, Kennesaw GA 30144, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within one mile of this marker, measured Camp McDonald (approx. 0.9 miles away); The General (approx. one mile away); Big Shanty (approx. one mile away); The Andrews Raid (approx. one mile away); Site - Lacy Hotel (approx. one mile away); Stewart's Corps at Big Shanty (approx. one mile away); Federal Occupation of Big Shanty (approx. one mile away); Locomotive "General" (approx. one mile away). Click for a list of all markers in Kennesaw.
Categories. • War, US Civil •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. This page has been viewed 862 times since then and 2 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on , by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.