Gainesville in Hall County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
1902 - 1975
Encouraging area farmers to raise chickens, he founded a small poultry dressing plant on nearby Maple Street in the basement of a feed warehouse. He pioneered creative techniques and unique machinery to process an increasing volume of poultry. The enterprise grew into the world-renowned J.D. Jewell Company featuring a contract grow-out program for farmers, hatchery, feed mill, high-volume processing plant, rendering plant and a bulk feed system. His work created a demand for specialists in nutrition, poultry science, poultry marketing and transportation.
The father of the ingenious “vertical integration” management program for chicken production, his feed conversion incentive plans benefitted farmers helping guide the area’s agriculture economy through and beyond the nation’s great depression. The program, from avian parent breeding to brand name marketing, is emulated worldwide today by all poultry producing firms.
A leader in civic and industry affairs, Jewell served as president of the Georgia Chamber of Commerce, the Georgia Elks Club and the Southeastern Poultry and Egg Association. He was a founder of the National Broiler Council and inducted in the U.S. Department of Agriculture’s Poultry Hall of Fame.
Believing that education is paramount to a strong family structure, his scholarship program sent many local women through Brenau College. Jewell’s work ethic and business acumen were highly acclaimed. His hometown became the “Poultry Capital of the World,” largely based upon Jesse Jewell’s vision, personal integrity and energetic leadership.
Location. 34° 17.761′ N, 83° 49.679′ W. Marker is in Gainesville, Georgia, in Hall County. Marker is at the intersection of Jesse Jewell Parkway SW (Georgia Route 369) and Academy Street, on the right when traveling east on Jesse Jewell Parkway SW. Click for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 455 Jesse Jewell Parkway SW, Gainesville GA 30501, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Lyman Hall (approx. ¼ mile away); U.D.C. Confederate Soldiers Monument (approx. ¼ mile away); Lt.-Gen. James Longstreet (approx. ¼ mile away); First Private Mint Templeton Reid Mint (approx. ¼ mile away); Henry O. Ward (approx. ¼ mile away); Dedicated to the Veterans of 1898 - 1902 (approx. 0.3 miles away); Federal Building (approx. 0.3 miles away); George Washington (approx. 0.3 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Gainesville.
Also see . . . Jesse Jewell. The New Georgia Encyclopedia biography. (Submitted on October 12, 2009, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia.)
Categories. • 20th Century • Agriculture • Industry & Commerce •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. This page has been viewed 970 times since then and 8 times this year. Photo 1. submitted on , by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Editor’s want-list for this marker. A wide shot of the marker and its surroundings. • Can you help?