Pottstown in Montgomery County, Pennsylvania — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
The Old Brick Church
Historic Pottstown Walking Tour
Pottstown's oldest church was built in 1796 on the corner of Hanover and Chestnut Streets on ground given by John Potts. The building was erected by two congregations, the Lutheran and the Reformed, and was also known as the Union Church when both congregations worshipped there. Prior to 1796, these two congregations worshipped alternately in the old log church which stood on the present sie of Emmanuel Lutheran Church. The actual cost of the building exceeded the “ruff carqulation” of the builder and reached $6,000, leaving a debt that was not paid off until 1807. The bricks alone cost $1,170.00; 195,000 bricks being used at a cost of $6.00 per thousand. The first subscription secured 1,554 pounds, 10 shillings, and 5 pence or $4,134.24. It is recorded that at the dedication nearly every member gave a silver dollar when the offering was made.
The two congregations eventually became four and established their own churches. However, some of the Reformed (United Church of Christ) congregation wanted to continue to worship in German and Zion's Congregation was formed in 1869 and moved back to the old church.
Although several remodelings over the years had changed the interior, it was restored to a colonial appearance in 1927. In 1966, the Parsonage, built in 1889, was razed for the Chapel addition. The restoration
Erected 2002 by Pottstown 250th Anniversary Committee.
Location. 40° 14.88′ N, 75° 38.99′ W. Marker is in Pottstown, Pennsylvania, in Montgomery County. Marker is on Hanover Street, on the right when traveling north. Click for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 100 N. Hanover Street, Pottstown PA 19464, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Site of Old Burial Ground (within shouting distance of this marker); The Potts Family Burial Ground (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Philadelphia Steam Engine Fire Co. #1 (about 400 feet away); The Pottstown News (about 600 feet away); Weitzenkorn's Clothiers (approx. 0.2 miles away); St. Clair Mansion (approx. 0.2 miles away); The Security Trust Building (approx. 0.2 miles away); The Shuler House (approx. 0.2 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Pottstown.
Also see . . . Zion's Reformed Church. (Submitted on October 11, 2009, by William Fischer, Jr. of Fort Scott, Kansas.)
Categories. • Cemeteries & Burial Sites • Churches, Etc. • Landmarks • Notable Buildings •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by William Fischer, Jr. of Fort Scott, Kansas. This page has been viewed 771 times since then and 47 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on , by William Fischer, Jr. of Fort Scott, Kansas. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.