Pottstown in Montgomery County, Pennsylvania — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
Reading Passenger Station
Historic Pottstown Walking Tour
When people learned of the railroad coming to Pottstown in the 1830's, the two rival hotel keepers, John Boyer and Joshua B. Missimer, vied for their business by building hotels on either side of the railroad tracks. Both lost out. In 1939 [sic - 1839], the railroad built a small depot just west of Missimer's Hotel. After a short time the depot became too small, so the railroad bought Missimer's Hotel for $10,000 and turned the small depot into a baggage and express office. This hotel, the first building on the site, served as Pottstown's passenger station for almost a century with but a few alterations.
In 1925, the Reading Railroad started buying properties on the south side of the tracks and in 1928, began demolishing the hotel to make way for the present edifice. The building was dedicated on November 6, 1929. Attending the ceremonies were Charles W. Ewing of Philadelphia, Vice President of the Reading Railroad, and several other company officials who joined borough dignitaries in a parade from The Station where the Shop Band played, down High Street to Washington Street. They then counter-marched to Pomeroy's Tea Room for a luncheon.
The building is of Seasholtzville granite of a pink hue, laid in a broken range ashlar with level beds and vertical joints. The base is of New England granite, while the trim and
— David R. Kerns
Erected 2002 by Pottstown 250th Anniversary Committee.
Location. 40° 14.718′ N, 75° 39.096′ W. Marker is in Pottstown, Pennsylvania, in Montgomery County. Click for map. Marker is near the SW corner of the Smith Family Plaza, about 75 feet NE of the former passenger station. The station is south of High Street, bounded on east and west by Hanover Street and York Street, respectively. Marker is in this post office area: Pottstown PA 19464, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The Shuler House (within shouting distance of this marker); The Security Trust Building (within shouting distance of this marker); Weitzenkorn's Clothiers (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); First Iron Bridge (about 400 feet away); St. Clair Mansion (about 400 feet away); Freight Station - AAA East Penn (about 500 feet away); The Pottstown News (about 500 feet away); The Elks Home (about 600 feet away). Click for a list of all markers in Pottstown.
Also see . . . The Reading Railroad and Pottstown. (Submitted on October 12, 2009, by William Fischer, Jr. of Fort Scott, Kansas.)
Categories. • Industry & Commerce • Landmarks • Notable Buildings • Railroads & Streetcars •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by William Fischer, Jr. of Fort Scott, Kansas. This page has been viewed 777 times since then and 59 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on , by William Fischer, Jr. of Fort Scott, Kansas. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.