Pottstown in Montgomery County, Pennsylvania — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
The Pottstown News
Historic Pottstown Walking Tour
In 1887, P. Elwood Baum purchased the newspaper that would eventually become the present day Mercury. At that time, Baum renamed The Chronicle, located at 18 1/2 N. Hanover St., The Pottstown Daily News. After Baum's death in 1892, Thomas Taylor took over the paper and in 1896, built The News Building at 17 N. Hanover directly across the street, where the paper would remain until 1926. In 1913, William L. Binder, president and general manager, renamed the paper one last time to The Pottstown News.
To expand its facilities, the paper purchased the Ashenfelter property on the southeast corner of Hanover and King Sts. in 1925. The first building on this corner lot was a small one-story frame structure which housed the “Pilot” firefighting apparatus owned by Pottstown and served as the borough lockup. The next owners, Jacob and Ephraim Hartranft, razed the frame building and built a twenty-room brick house on the lot. All 836 pieces of steel used in the construction of the present Mercury building were put up in sixteen days using a ninety-five foot mast anchored in the center of the basement. The structure is of concrete and buffed brick, with outside trimmings of Indianna [sic] limestone. The cornerstone was laid on July 4, 1925, and the building officially dedicated (to the paper's
— David R. Kerns
Erected 2002 by Pottstown 250th Anniversary Committee.
Location. 40° 14.784′ N, 75° 39.024′ W. Marker is in Pottstown, Pennsylvania, in Montgomery County. Marker is at the intersection of Hanover Street and Buttonwood Alley, on the left when traveling north on Hanover Street. Click for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 17 N. Hanover Street, Pottstown PA 19464, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Weitzenkorn's Clothiers (within shouting distance of this marker); St. Clair Mansion (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); The Security Trust Building (about 300 feet away); The Shuler House (about 400 feet away); Reading Passenger Station (about 500 feet away); The Potts Family Burial Ground (about 600 feet away); The Old Brick Church (about 600 feet away); First Iron Bridge (about 600 feet away). Click for a list of all markers in Pottstown.
Categories. • Communications • Entertainment • Industry & Commerce • Notable Buildings •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by William Fischer, Jr. of Fort Scott, Kansas. This page has been viewed 718 times since then and 50 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on , by William Fischer, Jr. of Fort Scott, Kansas. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.