Vincennes in Knox County, Indiana — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
Vincennes University was founded in 1801 as Jefferson Academy by William Henry Harrison, Governor of the Indiana Territory and Chartered by the Indiana Territorial Legislature in 1806. The columns of this gateway served as the Entrance for the Vincennes University building which stood at Fifth and Busseron streets from 1879 to 1953.
This Gateway was erected with the support of Friends, Alumni, and the Classes of 1954, 1975, and 1977 in commemoration of the 180th Anniversary of the Founding and the 175th Anniversary of the Chartering of the University. Dedicated on November 29, 1981.
The Relocation of Vincennes University on this Campus was initiated as a result of the vision and generosity of ELI LILLY who in 1938 provided the funds for the acquiring of the area surrounding this marker.
Location. 38° 41.157′ N, 87° 31.491′ W. Marker is in Vincennes, Indiana, in Knox County. Marker is at the intersection of Harrison Street and Park Street, on the right when traveling north on Harrison Street. Click for map. located on Harrison Street past North 1st Street near "Indiana Territory Historic Site.". Marker is in this post office area: Vincennes IN 47591, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least Samuel Thornton Scott ( 1777 - 1827 ) (within shouting distance of this marker); William Henry Harrison - & - Lewis & Clark Expedition (within shouting distance of this marker); Sarah Knox Taylor (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Millstones from Emison Mills (about 300 feet away); Indiana Territory (about 300 feet away); "Grouseland" (about 400 feet away); Chief Tecumseh (approx. 0.2 miles away); The Baty Place (approx. 0.2 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Vincennes.
Categories. • Education • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Al Wolf of Veedersburg, Indiana. This page has been viewed 667 times since then and 62 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on , by Al Wolf of Veedersburg, Indiana. 7. submitted on , by Pat Filippone of Stockton, California. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.