Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Pottstown in Montgomery County, Pennsylvania — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
 

The Hill School

 
 
The Hill School Marker image. Click for full size.
By William Fischer, Jr., June 30, 2009
1. The Hill School Marker
Inscription.
Founded in 1851 by the Rev. Matthew Meigs, The Hill School originally was known as the “Family Boarding School” and housed in an elegant estate formerly owned by Pottstown's N.P. Hobart. It was the first school in the country where students lived with teachers in faculty homes. By 1911, the School had grown from an institution with two teachers and 20 boys to a school of 40 masters and 375 young men. In 1998, after 147 years of educating only boys, The Hill welcomed its first coed class. Since its opening, The Hill has sustained its valued relationship with the community by sharing facilities and offering volunteer services. The School attracts talented young men and women from approximately 39 states and 20 foreign countries.

Notable campus architecture includes the Alumni Memorial Chapel (1904), a gift from Hill alumni, and the Memorial Room (1921), a tribute to WWI veterans among Hill alumni, now a part of the technology-laden John P. Ryan Library. The Widener Science and Alumni Buildings (1933 and 1936) are named in honor of Harry Elkins Widener, class of 1903, who died on the Titanic. The Center For The Arts (1989) hosts cultural events by nationally recognized performers as well as concerts by the Pottstown Symphony and area artists' exhibitions in the Boyer Gallery. In 1998, the School opened the Academic
The Hill School Marker image. Click for full size.
By William Fischer, Jr., June 30, 2009
2. The Hill School Marker
At High Street entrance.
Center; in 1999, the Dell Village Dormitories were occupied; and in 2001, during the School's sesquicentennial, the David H. Mercer Field House was dedicated.
 
Erected 2002 by The Hill School and Pottstown 250th Anniversary Committee.
 
Location. 40° 14.644′ N, 75° 37.943′ W. Marker is in Pottstown, Pennsylvania, in Montgomery County. Marker is on High Street, on the left when traveling east. Click for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 717 E. High Street, Pottstown PA 19464, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Annie Wittenmyer (approx. 0.2 miles away); Pottstown Historical Society (approx. 0.4 miles away); Pottstown War Memorial (approx. half a mile away); The Grubb Mansion (approx. 0.6 miles away); G.A.R. Statue (approx. ¾ mile away); Bahr Arcade (approx. 0.8 miles away); Philadelphia Steam Engine Fire Co. #1 (approx. 0.9 miles away); The Potts Family Burial Ground (approx. 0.9 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Pottstown.
 
Also see . . .  History of The Hill School. (Submitted on October 14, 2009, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
 
Categories. EducationEntertainmentNotable BuildingsNotable PersonsWar, World I
 
Photos on The Hill School Marker image. Click for full size.
By William Fischer, Jr., June 30, 2009
3. Photos on The Hill School Marker
Part of The Hill School Campus image. Click for full size.
By William Fischer, Jr., June 30, 2009
4. Part of The Hill School Campus
 
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 735 times since then and 18 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on , by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement