Vincennes in Knox County, Indiana — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
Site of House Occupied as Headquarters
Later Colonel Henry Hamilton, British Commander of the Garrison, was housed here after the surrender and before his removal to Williamsburg, Virginia.
This marker erected by the Indiana Daughters of the American Revolution in 1954 is Dedicated to those Valiant Americans who achieved this great conquest.
Erected 1954 by Indiana Daughters of the American Revolution.
Marker series. This marker is included in the Daughters of the American Revolution marker series.
Location. 38° 40.836′ N, 87° 31.99′ W. Marker is in Vincennes, Indiana, in Knox County. Marker is at the intersection of South 1st Street and Main Street, on the right when traveling south on South 1st Street. Click for map. Marker is in this post office area: Vincennes IN 47591, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Gold Star - - Honor Roll (a few steps from this marker); Patriotism of Charles Gratiot (within shouting distance of this marker); Vincennes Vincennes in the American Revolution (within shouting distance of this marker); Site of Ferry Landing (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); U.S.S. Vincennes (about 300 feet away); The Old Cathedral “French and Indian” Cemetery (about 300 feet away); Home of Francis Vigo (about 500 feet away). Click for a list of all markers in Vincennes.
Categories. • Exploration • Forts, Castles • Military • Notable Events • Notable Persons • Notable Places • Settlements & Settlers • War, US Revolutionary •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Al Wolf of Veedersburg, Indiana. This page has been viewed 838 times since then and 21 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on , by Al Wolf of Veedersburg, Indiana. 6. submitted on , by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.