Hartsville in Bucks County, Pennsylvania — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
The tavern at Cross Roads, as Hartsville was initially called, was erected in 1742 and was once the scene of much activity, including cattle auctions. Nearby was land that became an encampment site for 13,000 of George Washington's soldiers in 1777. Col. William Hart, who formerly served as proprietor of the Plumsteadville Inn, opened his Sign of the Heart tavern on this site in 1793.
Location. 40° 13.689′ N, 75° 5.669′ W. Marker is in Hartsville, Pennsylvania, in Bucks County. Marker is at the intersection of Bristol Road and Old York Road, on the right when traveling west on Bristol Road. Click for map. Marker is in this post office area: Warminster PA 18974, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 3 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Moland House (approx. half a mile away); Welcome to the Moland House (approx. 0.6 miles away); Early Life on the Moland Farm (approx. 0.6 miles away); Log College (approx. one mile away); John Fitch's Steamboat (approx. 1.5 miles away); Warminster Community Park-Sandpiper (approx. 2.6 miles away); Johnsville Naval Air Development Center (approx. 2.6 miles away); The Battle of the Crooked Billet (approx. 2.7 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Hartsville.
More about this marker.
Categories. • Entertainment • Heroes • Industry & Commerce • Military • Notable Buildings • Notable Persons • Patriots & Patriotism • War, US Revolutionary •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by William Fischer, Jr. of Fort Scott, Kansas. This page has been viewed 664 times since then and 38 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on , by William Fischer, Jr. of Fort Scott, Kansas. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.