Woodbridge in Prince William County, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
The First Courthouse of Prince William County
Roger D. Wharton - Vice-Chairman
G. Raymond Ratcliffe - Secretary
Erected 1931 by Bicentennial Committee of Prince William County.
Location. 38° 39.926′ N, 77° 14.635′ W. Marker is in Woodbridge, Virginia, in Prince William County. Marker is at the intersection of Jefferson Davis Highway (U.S. 1) and Annapolis Way, on the right on Jefferson Davis Highway. Click for map. Marker is in this post office area: Woodbridge VA 22191, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Early Land Patents (here, next to this marker); Occoquan (here, next to this marker); Fairfax County / Prince William County (here, next to this marker); Colchester (approx. half a mile away); Belmont Bay ~ End of the Water (approx. 0.8 The Beehive Brick Kiln (approx. 1.2 miles away); Women Suffrage Prisoners at Occoquan Workhouse (approx. 1.2 miles away); 1804 Occoquan Town Plat (approx. 1.5 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Woodbridge.
Related markers. Click here for a list of markers that are related to this marker. The list includes all five Prince William County Courthouses in sequence from first through the fifth. Note that there are two markers for the second courthouse.
Also see . . .
1. Woodbridge is 200 Years Old!. An article written by Stephen E. Phinney in 1995, when he was serving on the Prince William County Historical Commission. It was published in November, 1997. (Submitted on September 6, 2007, by Kevin W. of Stafford, Virginia.)
2. The History of the Prince William County Waterfront. Excerpt from a 1998 illustrated monograph by Debrarae Karnes: “Prince William’s first courthouse was located along the waterfront, near present day Belmont Bay. It was chartered in 1731, one year after Prince William County was chartered. At that time, Prince William County contained all of Fairfax, Arlington, Loudoun, and Fauquier Counties. Historians (Submitted on September 6, 2007, by Kevin W. of Stafford, Virginia.)
3. Prince William County 2003 Comprehensive Plan - Cultural Resources. Excerpt from page CUL-22: “The first courthouse of ‘Old’ Prince William County (which included what is now Prince William, Fairfax, Arlington, Fauquier, and Loudoun counties and the City of Alexandria) was located on the hill near this road segment. The foundations of the courthouse need to be located.” (Submitted on September 6, 2007, by Kevin W. of Stafford, Virginia.)
Categories. • Charity & Public Work • Notable Buildings • Notable Events • Notable Persons •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Kevin W. of Stafford, Virginia. This page has been viewed 1,963 times since then and 86 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on , by Kevin W. of Stafford, Virginia. • J. J. Prats was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.