Ridgefield in Fairfield County, Connecticut — The American Northeast (New England)
Location. 41° 16.378′ N, 73° 29.821′ W. Marker is in Ridgefield, Connecticut, in Fairfield County. Marker is on Main Street (Connecticut Route 35) 0.1 miles from West Lane, on the right when traveling north. Click for map. Marker is in this post office area: Ridgefield CT 06877, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Keeler Tavern and the “Big Shop” (a few steps from this marker); Ridgefield's Colonial Plans (approx. 0.2 miles away); Ridgefield Veterans Monument (approx. 0.2 miles away); The Town Common and Hauley House (approx. 0.2 miles away); Rev. Thomas Hawley House (approx. 0.2 miles away); Benedict Arnold's Betrayal and Lieutenant Joshua King (approx. ¼ mile away); Ensign James Benedict House (approx. 0.3 miles away); Ye Burying Yard (approx. 0.4 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Ridgefield.
Regarding Keeler Tavern. The Keeler Tavern Museum occupies Lot II of the original 1708 Main Street plan of the Proprietors of Ridgefield. By about 1713 Benjamin Hoyt had built the home where he and his wife raised their family. In 1769 Timothy Keeler, Benjamin’s grandson, purchased the property from his Uncle David. Timothy and his wife Esther turned the building into T. Keeler’s Inn in 1772.
On April 27, 1777, after the Battle of Ridgefield during the Revolutionary War, the Tavern was fired on by British troops proceeding south on Main Street. Timothy, a patriot, was making musket balls in the basement. One British cannonball was imbedded in a corner post where it remains today.
Also see . . . Keeler Tavern Museum.
Categories. • War, US Revolutionary •
Credits. This page originally submitted on October 17, 2009, by Michael Herrick of Southbury, Connecticut. This page has been viewed 1,664 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on October 17, 2009, by Michael Herrick of Southbury, Connecticut. 4, 5. submitted on October 24, 2009, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey. • Kevin W. was the editor who published this page.