Clinton in Laurens County, South Carolina — The American South (South Atlantic)
Clinton Confederate Monument
Stephen D. Lee
Chapter -- 1910
1861 -- 1865
"Lest We Forget"
Erected 1910 by Stephen D. Lee Chapter No. 1066 United Daughters of the Confederacy.
Marker series. This marker is included in the United Daughters of the Confederacy marker series.
Location. 34° 28.4′ N, 81° 52.817′ W. Marker is in Clinton, South Carolina, in Laurens County. Marker is at the intersection of Musgrove Street and East Main Street, on the left when traveling north on Musgrove Street. Click for map. Marker is in this post office area: Clinton SC 29325, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 10 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Clinton Veterans Monument (within shouting distance of this marker); Henry Clinton Young (within shouting distance of this marker); Eugene Blakely Sloan (1922-1969) - Eugene Blakely Sloan (approx. 0.2 miles away); William Plumer Jacobs, D.D., LL.D. (approx. 0.3 miles away); Eugene Blakely Sloan (approx. 0.3 miles away); Malcolm A. MacDonald Presbyterian College Armed Forces Memorial (approx. 0.6 miles away); Mrs. Lillian G. Brown (approx. 0.6 miles away); American Flag Pole (approx. 0.6 miles away); Jacobs Hall (approx. 0.6 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Clinton.
Also see . . . Stephen D. Lee. Stephen Dill Lee (September 22, 1833 – May 28, 1908) was an American soldier, planter, legislator, and author. (Submitted on August 16, 2012, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina.)
1. Clinton Confederate Monument
On February 16, 1907, the women of Clinton organized a chapter of the United Daughters of the Confederacy in the home of Mrs. R.Z. Wright. They elected Mrs. W.M. McCaslin president. The chapter, called the General Stephen D. Lee Chapter, was named in honor of Mrs. Wright's cousin. The first and dearest aim of the thirty-seven charter members was to erect a Confederate monument. Three gentlemen of Clinton made the first contribution to the monument fund, an unsolicited donation, on Memorial Day, May 11, 1907.
The U.D.C. considered several dates for the unveiling. They considered Thanksgiving Day and Secession Day-December 20-but rejected both because they feared the monument would be incomplete. At noon on December 21, 1910, the V.D.G took possession of the monument and chose January 19, 1911, Robert E. Lee's birthday, as the date for the dedication. The orator of the day was Anderson lawyer Milledge L. Bonham, son of the late governor. Reverend Harrison Fowler offered the prayer. Sixteen children and grandchildren of Confederate veterans drew the cords, unveiling the shaft.
The monument is made of Winnsboro granite and is a square shaft standing twenty-nine feet tall. It is topped by a polished cannon ball resting on a laurel crown. Cannon balls originally rested at each of the four corners of the base. These are, unfortunately, no longer present. The monument was erected in Confederate Square, just a few feet from the railroad depot, which no longer exists. (Source: A Guide to Confederate Monuments in South Carolina; Passing the Silent Cup by Robert S.
— Submitted October 19, 2009, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina.
Categories. • Heroes • War, US Civil •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 839 times since then and 80 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on , by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina. 5. submitted on , by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.