Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Near Winder in Barrow County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
 

Battle of King's Tanyard

 
 
Battle of King's Tanyard Marker image. Click for full size.
By David Seibert, May 30, 2009
1. Battle of King's Tanyard Marker
Inscription. On July 31, 1864, at the Battle of Sunshine Church (19 miles NE of Macon), Maj. Gen. Geo. Stoneman [US] surrendered with 600 men to Brig. Gen. Alfred Iverson, Jr., [CS], after covering the escape of Adamsí and Capronís brigades of his cavalry command. Both units retreated via Athens, intending to resupply their troops there, but were stopped early on August 2nd at the river bridge south of Athens by Home Guard units with artillery. Unable to cross, they turned west; Capron on the Hog Mountain road to Jug Tavern (Winder), and Adams on roads farther north by which he reached the Union lines near Marietta without further loss.

Late that night, Capron halted briefly at Jug Tavern, fed and watered his horses, then marched to Kingís Tanyard (about 300 yards, E) and halted again for two hours to rest his exhausted command. A large body of runaway negroes, who had followed the column, crowded in between the rear pickets and the main body. Before dawn on August 3rd, Williamsí Kentucky brigade [CS], in pursuit from Sunshine Church, charged over his pickets and into the panic-stricken negroes “driving and scattering everything before them.” Thrown into confusion, Capronís men soon gave way and stampeded toward Mulberry River. About 430 were captured and sent to Athens; others escaped into the woods. Capron himself, with six men,
Battle of King's Tanyard Marker image. Click for full size.
By David Seibert, May 30, 2009
2. Battle of King's Tanyard Marker
Surrounded by brush, Kudzu, ivy, poison ivy, etc.
reached Marietta four days later -- on foot.

This engagement called also the Battle of Jug Tavern, was the final event of the Federal fiasco known as the Stoneman Raid.
 
Erected 1957 by Georgia Historical Commission. (Marker Number 007-3.)
 
Marker series. This marker is included in the Georgia Historical Society/Commission marker series.
 
Location. 34° 2.167′ N, 83° 46.417′ W. Marker is near Winder, Georgia, in Barrow County. Marker is on Thompson Mill Road (Georgia Route 211) 0.1 miles north of Will Maynard Road, on the right when traveling north. Click for map. Marker is in this post office area: Winder GA 30680, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 5 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Bethabra Baptist Church (approx. 2.1 miles away); Perry-Rainey Institute (approx. 3.4 miles away); Rockwell Universalist Church (approx. 3.7 miles away); Winder's Most Historical Site (approx. 4 miles away); Concord Methodist Cemetery (approx. 4.1 miles away); Builder of the Nation (approx. 4.2 miles away); The Stoneman Raid Battle of King's Tanyard (approx. 4.3 miles away); Barrow County (approx. 4.3 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Winder.
 
Categories. War, US Civil
 
Battle of King's Tanyard Marker image. Click for full size.
By David Seibert, May 30, 2009
3. Battle of King's Tanyard Marker
Looking north on Thompson Mill Road, GA Highway 211
 
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. This page has been viewed 1,782 times since then and 40 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on , by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement