Atlantic Beach in Horry County, South Carolina — The American South (South Atlantic)
George Tyson was the first to develop this area, from 1934 to 1943. In 1943 the Atlantic Beach Co.- J.W. Seabrook, R.K.Gordon, and P.C.Kelly III-bought the tracts and continued to develop them. As other area beaches began desegregating in the 1970s the beach saw fewer visitors. The town of Atlantic Beach, chartered in 1966 with Emery Gore and Millard Rucker as its first two mayors, is one of a few black-owned and governed oceanfront communities in the United States.
Erected 2005 by Atlantic Beach Historical Society. (Marker Number 26-16.)
Location. 33° 48.323′ N, 78° 43.101′ W. Marker is in Atlantic Beach, South Carolina, in Horry County. Marker is at the intersection of 30th Avenue South and South 3rd Street on 30th Avenue South. Click for map
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 9 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Roberts Pavilion / Ocean Drive Pavilion (approx. 2.8 miles away); Washington’s Southern Tour (approx. 3.6 miles away); Chestnut Consolidated School (approx. 4 miles away); Fort Randall (approx. 4.6 miles away); Sonny’s Pavilion (approx. 4.6 miles away); George Whitefield (approx. 5.6 miles away but has been reported missing); Rebecca Randall Bryan (approx. 7.8 miles away); Boundary House (approx. 8.9 miles away).
Categories. • African Americans • Notable Places •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Stanley and Terrie Howard of Greer, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 1,200 times since then and 26 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on , by Stanley and Terrie Howard of Greer, South Carolina. • Kevin W. was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.