Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Truckee in Nevada County, California — The American West (Pacific Coastal)
 

Truckee’s Old Stone Garage and Site of Town’s First Dwelling

 
 
Truckee’s Old Stone Garage and Site of Town’s First Dwelling Marker image. Click for full size.
By Syd Whittle, October 21, 2009
1. Truckee’s Old Stone Garage and Site of Town’s First Dwelling Marker
Inscription. In 1863, Joseph Gray built Truckee’s first structure on this site for use as the Dutch Flat–Donner Lake Wagon Road’s Toll Station. The old log structure was moved in 1907 to the Englehart property on Church Street, one block east of this site, where it still stands today and the brethren of ECV dedicated a plaque in 1965. In 1909, D.J. Smith, with the help of European–trained stone masons, constructed the present building for use as a livery and garage.
 
Erected 1972 by Chief Truckee Chapter 3691, E Clampus Vitus August 12, 1972. Rededicated July 4, 1981.
 
Marker series. This marker is included in the E Clampus Vitus marker series.
 
Location. 39° 19.742′ N, 120° 11.073′ W. Marker is in Truckee, California, in Nevada County. Marker is at the intersection of Bridge Street and Jibboom Street, on the right when traveling south on Bridge Street. Click for map. Marker is mounted on the front of the building facing Bridge Street. Marker is at or near this postal address: 10070 Bridge Street, Truckee CA 96161, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. “The Tin Can” ----------- “Dot’s Place” (within shouting distance of this marker); First Log Cabin
Truckee’s Old Stone Garage and Site of Town’s First Dwelling image. Click for full size.
By Syd Whittle, October 21, 2009
2. Truckee’s Old Stone Garage and Site of Town’s First Dwelling
Marker is located on the far left of the building
(within shouting distance of this marker); Theodore Dehone Judah (about 600 feet away, measured in a direct line); Truckee (about 600 feet away); Jax Truckee Diner (about 700 feet away); George Schaffer (about 700 feet away); Old Truckee Jail (about 700 feet away); a different marker also named Truckee (about 800 feet away). Click for a list of all markers in Truckee.
 
Additional comments.
1. From the Historic Truckee Walking Tour Brochure:
Stone Garage
This building is on the location of Truckee’s first building; Gray’s Station. The current stone building was constructed around 1911 and served as a carriage house and blacksmith shop.
    — Submitted October 22, 2009, by Syd Whittle of El Dorado Hills, California.

 
Categories. Industry & CommerceNotable BuildingsNotable Places
 
Truckee’s Old Stone Garage and Site of Town’s First Dwelling image. Click for full size.
By Syd Whittle, October 21, 2009
3. Truckee’s Old Stone Garage and Site of Town’s First Dwelling
 
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Syd Whittle of El Dorado Hills, California. This page has been viewed 946 times since then and 2 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on , by Syd Whittle of El Dorado Hills, California. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement