Seale in Russell County, Alabama — The American South (East South Central)
Seale United Methodist Church
The Methodist Congregation of which the church at Seale was organized in 1842, were pioneer families with a deep faith in God and a clear vision of the future. This group was centered around a small meeting place and a schoolhouse located on the north side of the Federal Road about 12 miles west of the Chattahoochee River. This church was called Glenn Chapel, a memorial to the old preacher, James E. Glenn. The preaching place, a sort of community center, was established near the home of Sterling Bass. The schoolhouse faced east and Glenn Chapel west, at what was known as the Sterling Bass Cemetery.
The Church was dismantled and the congregation moved to Silver Run in 1866, which date is the official one for the establishment of the Seale Church. The Church, originally built at Silver Run, was not on the present site, but was within the enclosure of the present cemetery. The present Methodist Church was built about 1876. In 1949, three Sunday School rooms were added and a later expansion included classrooms, restrooms, kitchen and fellowship hall. The sanctuary was remodeled in 1962. On Dec. 6, 1992, the Church's 150th Anniversary was celebrated and in June 1993, it received the Heritage Award at Annual Conference.
Location. 32° 17.952′ N, 85° 9.978′ W. Marker is in Seale, Alabama, in Russell County. Marker is at the intersection of Courthouse Street and Chapel Street, on the right when traveling north on Courthouse Street. Click for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 6 Chapel St., Seale AL 36875, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 7 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Old Russell County Courthouse (about 600 feet away, measured in a direct line); Holland McTyeire Smith (approx. 0.3 miles away); Mitchell-Ferrell-Powell House (approx. 0.4 miles away); William Augustus Mitchell (approx. 0.4 miles away); John Bacon McDonald (approx. half a mile away); Villula (approx. 2.7 miles away); St. Peter A.M.E. Church Cemetery (approx. 5.5 miles away); Macedonia Missionary Baptist Church /Macedonia School (approx. 6.7 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Seale.
1. Ministers of this church
The father of Historical Marker Correspondent Tim Carr, the late Rev. James Thomas Carr, was the minister of this church and the Crawford United Methodist Church from 1955 to 1958.
Categories. • Antebellum South, US • Churches, Etc. • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Timothy Carr of Birmingham, Alabama. This page has been viewed 1,282 times since then and 5 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on , by Timothy Carr of Birmingham, Alabama. • Kevin W. was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.