Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Dumfries in Prince William County, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
 

Weems-Botts House

 
 
Weems-Botts House Marker image. Click for full size.
By Kevin White, September 6, 2007
1. Weems-Botts House Marker
Inscription.
Weems-Botts House
Dumfries, Virginia
Marked by Bill of Rights Chapter, NSDAR
October 6, 1996


Also on the house:

This Property has been
placed on the
National Register
of Historic Places
by the United States
Department of the Interior

 
Erected 1996 by Daughters of the American Revolution.
 
Marker series. This marker is included in the Daughters of the American Revolution marker series.
 
Location. 38° 34.109′ N, 77° 19.748′ W. Marker is in Dumfries, Virginia, in Prince William County. Marker is at the intersection of Duke Street and Cameron Street, on the left when traveling north on Duke Street. Click for map. Marker is in this post office area: Dumfries VA 22026, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. William Grayson Bandstand Memorial (within shouting distance of this marker); Prince William County Court House (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Revolutionary War Patriots and War of 1812 Veterans (approx. 0.2 miles away); Quantico Church (approx. 0.2
National Register of Historice Places Plaque image. Click for full size.
By Kevin White, September 6, 2007
2. National Register of Historice Places Plaque
miles away); In Memory (approx. 0.2 miles away); Dumfries Cemetery (approx. 0.2 miles away); History of Dumfries (approx. 0.3 miles away); Revolutionary War Campaign of 1781 (approx. 0.3 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Dumfries.
 
Regarding Weems-Botts House. This museum honors two famous residents of the house, Mason Locke Weems, and Benjamin Botts.

The Reverend Mason Locke Weems was the man who created the legend of George Washington chopping down the cherry tree. In 1800 here at this house, which doubled as a bookstore, he published (with some embelishment) the biography The Life of Washington, forever identifying him as the father of our country.

Attorney Benjamin Botts used the building as a law office. Hes best known for successfully defending Aaron Burr at his infamous treason and conspiracy trial.

The park at this location is named after the Merchant family, who owned the land and house prior to its purchase and renovation by Historic Dumfries Virginia, a local private, non-profit organization.
 
Categories. Colonial EraNotable EventsNotable PersonsPatriots & PatriotismPolitical Subdivisions
 
The Weems-Botts House / Museum image. Click for full size.
By Kevin White, September 6, 2007
3. The Weems-Botts House / Museum
Prince William County Historical Commission Plaque image. Click for full size.
By Kevin White, September 6, 2007
4. Prince William County Historical Commission Plaque
These plaques are placed on buildings the Commission determines are significant in the history of Prince William County.
Reproduction of the Weems-Botts Museum image. Click for full size.
By Kevin W., October 24, 2007
5. Reproduction of the Weems-Botts Museum
This reproduction of the Weems-Botts Museum was built by Lionel (Biz) Bearor. It is on display in the lobby of the Dr. A. J. Ferlazzo Building in the Prince William County Government Complex (near the intersection of Cardinal Drive and Jefferson Davis Highway).
Reproduction of the Weems-Botts Museum image. Click for full size.
By Kevin W., October 24, 2007
6. Reproduction of the Weems-Botts Museum
This reproduction of the Weems-Botts Museum was built by Lionel (Biz) Bearor. It is on display in the lobby of the Dr. A. J. Ferlazzo Building in the Prince William County Government Complex (near the intersection of Cardinal Drive and Jefferson Davis Highway).
Miniature Marker for the Miniature House image. Click for full size.
By Kevin W., October 24, 2007
7. Miniature Marker for the Miniature House
"This Reproduction of the Weems-Botts Museum was built by Lionel (Biz) Bearor."
 
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Kevin W. of Stafford, Virginia. This page has been viewed 1,899 times since then and 4 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on , by Kevin W. of Stafford, Virginia.   5, 6, 7. submitted on , by Kevin W. of Stafford, Virginia. • J. J. Prats was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement