“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Detroit in Wayne County, Michigan — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)

University of Michigania

University of Michigania Marker image. Click for full size.
By R. C.
1. University of Michigania Marker
Inscription. The Catholepistemiad, or university, of Michigania resided in a building near this site from 1818 to 1837. Conceived of by the Reverend John Montieth, Father Gabriel Richard and Judge Augustus Woodward, the university was established by territorial law on August 26, 1817. Modeled on the University of France, created by Napoleon Bonaparte in 1807, the institution was the center of a statewide system of primary, secondary and college education. Reverend Montieth, the first president, and Father Richard held the first professorships. In 1837 the university was relocated to Ann Arbor. The original building was razed in 1858.
Erected 2001 by Michigan Historical Commission - Michigan Historical Center. (Marker Number S72.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Michigan Historical Commission marker series.
Location. 42° 19.847′ N, 83° 2.678′ W. Marker is in Detroit, Michigan, in Wayne County. Marker is at the intersection of Congress Street and Bates Street, on the right when traveling east on Congress Street. Click for map. Marker is in this post office area: Detroit MI 48226, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Soldiers and Sailors Memorial (about 400 feet
University of Michigania Marker image. Click for full size.
By R. C.
2. University of Michigania Marker
away, measured in a direct line); Stearns Telephone (about 500 feet away); Shrine Circus (about 500 feet away); The Salvation Army (about 500 feet away); Spirit of Detroit (about 600 feet away); The Iron Brigade / The Twenty-Fourth Michigan Volunteer Infantry Regiment (about 700 feet away); Ford Building (about 700 feet away); Mariners' Church (approx. 0.2 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Detroit.
More about this marker. The plaque is located on the wall of the parking garage behind One Detroit Center.
Categories. EducationNotable Buildings
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by R. C. of Shrewsbury, New Jersey. This page has been viewed 857 times since then and 59 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on , by R. C. of Shrewsbury, New Jersey. • Kevin W. was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement