New Bern in Craven County, North Carolina — The American South (South Atlantic)
First Presbyterian Church
In 1819 log number 309 on New Street was purchased. Construction of the sanctuary began June 9, 1819 with the laying of the cornerstone by Master Masons. Uriah Sandy was contractor, assisted by Martin Stevenson and John Dewey who were members of the church. The building was completed in late 1821 and dedicated on January 6, 1822. Numbered pews were offered for sale or rent with "visitor pews" provided on both sides of the pulpit.
To the right of the sanctuary is the Session House, built in 1858 for the sum of $1500. During the Civil War the sanctuary was used as a hospital for sick and wounded Union soldiers with planks being placed over the pews or beds. Restoration work was required in 1866 and was marked by the installation of Victorian-style gaslights and stained woodwork. In 1936 the restoration and reinstallation of the original pulpit was completed.
In addition to its own growth and outreach, First Presbyterian Church aided in the establishment of Ebenezer Church in 1878 and following World War II in the establishment of Neuse
Erected by First Presbyterian Church.
Location. 35° 6.589′ N, 77° 2.412′ W. Marker is in New Bern, North Carolina, in Craven County. Marker is on New Street, on the right when traveling west. Click for map. Between Middle Street and Hancock Street. Marker is in this post office area: New Bern NC 28560, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. A different marker also named First Presbyterian Church (within shouting distance of this marker); New Bern Academy (within shouting distance of this marker); Centenary United Methodist Church (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Political Duel (about 400 feet away); a different marker also named New Bern Academy (about 400 feet away); George E. Badger (about 600 feet away); Bayard v. Singleton (about 600 feet away); Craven County World Wars 1 and 2 Memorial (about 700 feet away). Click for a list of all markers in New Bern.
Also see . . . Official First Presbyterian Church web site. (Submitted on October 26, 2009, by Kevin W. of Stafford, Virginia.)
Categories. • Churches, Etc. • War, US Civil •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Kevin W. of Stafford, Virginia. This page has been viewed 710 times since then and 63 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on , by Kevin W. of Stafford, Virginia. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Editor’s want-list for this marker. Pictures of Ebenezer (1878), Neuse Forest (1946) and West New Bern (1948) churches. • • Can you help?