Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Parma Heights in Cuyahoga County, Ohio — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
 

First Brick Rural Road in United States

Olde York Road

 
 
First Brick Rural Road in United States Marker </b>Side B image. Click for full size.
By Lora Szloh, October 27, 2009
1. First Brick Rural Road in United States Marker Side B
Inscription. Side A:
In the late nineteenth century, a movement to improve inadequate plank and dirt roads was brought on by the popularity of bicycling, the introduction of the automobile, and the need to improve travel to and from rural areas. Ohio, as a leader in the manufacture of brick paving blocks, was quick to upgrade roads. Toll roads were waning in popularity and the need for free roads was recognized. An act passed in 1892 authorized Cuyahoga County to levy a road tax. With funds levied, the Commissioners selected the Wooster Pike as one of three road improvement projects.

Side B:
The first brick surface pavement on a rural road was laid along the Wooster Pike, a former stagecoach route from Cleveland to Wooster. Construction for the four miles of brick pavement began in the fall of 1893, and it was completed in 1896. The road began at what is now Olde York Road in Parma Heights and ended in the Village of Albion, Ohio. The York Street Tollgate for the Brooklyn and Parma Wooden Plan Toll Road Company (1876-1907) was located northeast of the beginning point along the Wooster Pike.
 
Erected 2003 by Ohio Bicentennial Commission, The Longaberger Company, Society for Industrial Archeology Northern Ohio Chapter, and The Ohio Historical Society. (Marker Number 49-18.)
View south from the Marker down the First Brick Road in United States image. Click for full size.
By Lora Szloh, January 27, 2009
2. View south from the Marker down the First Brick Road in United States
The first brick road is no longer a brick road.

 
Marker series. This marker is included in the Ohio Historical Society / The Ohio History Connection marker series.
 
Location. 41° 23.503′ N, 81° 45.598′ W. Marker is in Parma Heights, Ohio, in Cuyahoga County. Marker is at the intersection of Olde York Road and Pearl Road (U.S. 42), on the right when traveling south on Olde York Road. Click for map. Directly located in front of a Marathon Gas station on the right hand corner as you enter the north end of Olde York Road. Marker is at or near this postal address: 6229 Pearl Rd, Cleveland OH 44130, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 5 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Crile Hospital (approx. 1.6 miles away); The Stearns Homestead (approx. 1.8 miles away); German Central Organization (approx. 2.7 miles away); Old District 10 Schoolhouse (approx. 2.9 miles away); Berea District Seven School (approx. 4.4 miles away); Berea Union Depot (approx. 4.9 miles away); Baldwin University (approx. 5 miles away); Lyceum Square (approx. 5 miles away).
 
Regarding First Brick Rural Road in United States. It's no longer brick, now it's blacktop.
 
Categories. Roads & Vehicles
 
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Lora Szloh of Berea, Ohio. This page has been viewed 1,354 times since then and 6 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on , by Lora Szloh of Berea, Ohio. • Kevin W. was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
 
Editor’s want-list for this marker. Picture of the marker's Side A. • Can you help?
Paid Advertisement