Parsons in Tucker County, West Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
The Corrick House
Corricks Ford Battleﬁeld
—Silent Witness to War —
Capt. Henry W. Benham USA
In front of you is the home of William and Deborah Corrick. The Corricks settled here by 1830, and built this structure in 1851, with many later alterations. William worked a large farm as Deborah bore 18 children.
Gen. Robert S. Garnett's Confederates fled past the Corrick house on July 13, 1861, with Union troops in pursuit. In a gallant attempt to save his army, Gen. Garnett was shot on the riverbank nearby. Union soldiers tenderly carried his body into this house, which became a makeshift headquarters, hospital, and prison.
(name unknown) who fell
defending his general while his
comrads ran away."
Headboard inscribed by
Lt. F.A. Cather,
2nd West Virginia Infantry USA
Corrick family cemetery. A young Confederate soldier was buried here, but no marker remains.
Location. 39° 5.329′ N, 79° 40.984′ W. Marker is in Parsons, West Virginia, in Tucker County. Marker is on Main Street (U.S. 219), on the right when traveling east. Click for map
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Corricks Ford (within shouting distance of this marker); Corricks Ford Battlefield (about 600 feet away, measured in a direct line); a different marker also named Corricks Ford (about 600 feet away); a different marker also named Corrick's Ford (about 600 feet away); a different marker also named Corricks Ford Battlefield (about 700 feet away); a different marker also named Corricks Ford Battlefield (approx. 0.2 miles away); Parsons / Corrick's Ford (approx. half a mile away); Williams v. Board of Education Case (approx. 0.6 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Parsons.
Categories. • War, US Civil •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia. This page has been viewed 1,041 times since then and 66 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on , by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.