“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Pottstown in Montgomery County, Pennsylvania — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)

The Elks Home

Historic Pottstown Walking Tour

The Elks Home Marker image. Click for full size.
By William Fischer, Jr., July 4, 2009
1. The Elks Home Marker
Local residents have long admired this beautiful mansion built in 1888 by Jacob Fegely, which since 1913 has served as the home of the B.P.O.E. Pottstown Lodge No. 814. This was not the first mansion on the site, however. The original structure belonged to a much esteemed native family, the Van Buskirks, their home having been said to have dated to the 1700's.

Dr. George Van Buskirk practiced medicine locally prior to the 1840's, with his son William A. following in his footsteps in 1846. William was an accomplished practitioner and much sought after. He and his wife Sarah lived in the mansion. William died in 1874 at the age of forty-nine; and in 1887, his widow sold the property to Jacob Fegely for $10,000. Jacob started in the coal business and later in hardware across High Street from this property. He was also president of the Iron Bank and owner of the Merchant's Hotel.

In June of 1887, while he and his son Calvin were demolishing the Van Buskirk Mansion, they uncovered three stove plates dating from 1863 with Colebrookdale Furnace on them. Construction of the new mansion at 61 High Street was completed by 1888. After Jacob died in 1901, other members of the family lived in the mansion for several years; but upon the death of his son Calvin in 1913, the estate sold the property to the Elks.

On November
The Elks Home and Marker image. Click for full size.
By William Fischer, Jr., July 4, 2009
2. The Elks Home and Marker
Marker at extreme right of photo. Crowd gathering for July 4th Parade.
26, 1902, at 8:00 pm., No. 814, Fraternal Order of Elks was instituted in the Odd Fellows Hall with thirty-six members. The first exalted ruler was A.H. Hendricks. The Elks first met at the Taylor Building at 254 High Street.
—David R. Kerns
Erected 2002 by Pottstown 250th Anniversary Committee.
Location. 40° 14.775′ N, 75° 39.19′ W. Marker is in Pottstown, Pennsylvania, in Montgomery County. Marker is on High Street, on the right when traveling west. Click for map. Marker is about 100 feet west of intersection with York Street. Marker is at or near this postal address: 61 E. High Street, Pottstown PA 19464, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. First Iron Bridge (within shouting distance of this marker); The Shuler House (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); Reading Passenger Station (about 600 feet away); Weitzenkorn's Clothiers (about 600 feet away); The Security Trust Building (about 600 feet away); Pottstown Brewing Co. (about 700 feet away); The Pottstown News (about 800 feet away); St. Clair Mansion (approx. 0.2 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Pottstown.
Categories. Fraternal or Sororal OrganizationsIndustry & CommerceMan-Made FeaturesNotable BuildingsNotable PersonsScience & Medicine
The Elks Home Photo on Marker image. Click for full size.
By William Fischer, Jr., July 4, 2009
3. The Elks Home Photo on Marker
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by William Fischer, Jr. of Fort Scott, Kansas. This page has been viewed 801 times since then and 48 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on , by William Fischer, Jr. of Fort Scott, Kansas. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement