Iva in Anderson County, South Carolina — The American South (South Atlantic)
Moﬀettsville / Moﬀettsville Postmaster Appointments
At this site once stood the town of Moffettsville, originating with the establishment of Moffett's Mills Post Office on February 16, 1818. By 1883, the town had a population of twenty-five with a physician and general store. Mail service here was discontinued in 1901.
James H. Davidson Feb. 16, 1818
John Simpson July 15, 1822
Andrew Milligan May 16, 1826
Archibald Simpson Dec. 7, 1826
Joel H. Berry May 17, 1838
William Sherard April 23, 1842
Robert A. Reid May 21, 1866
Thomas A. Sherard June 5, 1890
William T.A. Sherard Oct. 8, 1895
Discontinued Sept. 30, 1901
Erected 1980 by Anderson County Historical Society. (Marker Number 4-19.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the South Carolina, Anderson County Historical Association/Society marker series.
Location. 34° 17.388′ N, 82° 42.644′ W. Marker is in Iva, South Carolina, in Anderson County. Marker is at the intersection of Elberton Highway (State Highway 184) and Sam Turner Road, on the right when traveling west on Elberton Highway. Click for map. Marker is in this post office area: Iva SC 29655, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. Generostee A.R.P. Church (approx. 1.2 miles away); Good Hope Presbyterian Church (approx. 2.2 miles away); Good Hope Presbyterian Church Cemetery (approx. 2.2 miles away); Good Hope Church (approx. 2.7 miles away); Old Iva Depot Mural (approx. 2.9 miles away); Iva Veterans Monument (approx. 2.9 miles away); 1965 (approx. 2.9 miles away); Iva (approx. 2.9 miles away); Lowndesville Veterans Monument (approx. 6.4 miles away); Harpers Ferry Drowning (approx. 6.6 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Iva.
Also see . . . Biography of Col. John Moffett, Namesake of Moffettsville. Col. John Moffett was born about 1741 in the Augusta Valley of Virginia and was probably the son of John and Mary Christian Moffett of that area. (Submitted on September 14, 2008, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina.)
1. About the Postmasters
The lives of the individual postmasters are interesting. Dr. James H. Davidson, the first (February 16, 1818 to July 15, 1822), was married to Ann Moffett, the daughter of Col. John Moffett, the town's namesake. Davidson, himself, was the son of Elias Davidson, SC Militiaman in the Revolutionary War from York, South Carolina.
Andrew Milligan was the third and served the shortest span of time: May 16 - December 7, 1826. He was followed by Archibald Simpson, (December 7, 1826 to May 17, 1838). Simpson was the son of postmaster John Simpson, and thus a grandson of Col. Moffett.
Joel H. Berry (May 17, 1938 to April 23, 1838) was fifth, and the first postmaster not to be related to Moffett.
William Sherard, a native of County Antrim, Ireland, was the sixth (April 23, 1842 to May 21, 1866. Sherard was a leading citizen of the area and his descendants still populate this portion of Anderson County. Sherard opened a successful store about a mile west of Moffettsville, which he operated until his death. Of the next three postmasters, two were descended from Sherard.
Robert A. Reid served as postmaster next (May 21, 1866 to June 5, 1890. Of him, nothing else is known. He was followed by Thomas Sherard, the elder Sherard's son (June 5, 1890 to October 8, 1895). Thomas Sherard closed his father's store and moved it within the limits of Moffettsville. Like he
William T.A. Sherard was Moffettsville's ninth and final postmaster. He inherited his father and grandfather's business and continued operating it. His wealth was displayed on his 2,000 acre farm. He was also an important member of the community, serving a president of the Bank of Iva, and a strong supporter of the Moffettsville Graded School.
— Submitted January 5, 2009, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina.
Small settlements sprang up along the rivers in the early pioneer days of our country's history, then extended out. Just a few miles apart, and situated along the roads, were villages such as Alice, Barnes, Dean Station, Twiggs (which became Starr), Moscow, Moffettsville, Antreville, Lowndesville, and cook's station (which was later called Iva). Generally, each village had a store, a grain mill or cotton gin, blacksmith shops, a tannery, or cottonseed oil mills. Moffettsville was the first place in this section to have a post office built, and its mail was received from the main post office at Ninety Six, South Carolina. The post office at Moffettsville served until September 30, 1901. The first postmaster was James H. Davidson, and the last one was W.T.A. Sherard. During the early days, products were shipped by barge from river ports, such as Hardscrabble, which was located along the Savannah River. From the river ports, the shipments were carried down to Hamburg, South Carolina, and Augusta, Georgia, where the railroad from Charleston ended. In 1886, the railroad was completed to this section of the state. Settlers moved from the rural areas to develop communities along the railways, and this resulted in the demise of outlying communities such as Generostee and Moffettsville. (Source: Around Iva by Revlva (1999), pg 7.)
— Submitted October 8, 2010, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina.
Categories. • Notable Persons • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 1,799 times since then and 7 times this year. Last updated on , by Hendricks Sherard Davis of Princeton, United States. Photos: 1. submitted on , by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina. 2, 3. submitted on , by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina. 4. submitted on , by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina. • Kevin W. was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.