Lancaster in Lancaster County, South Carolina — The American South (South Atlantic)
Lancasterville Presbyterian Church
This congregation was organized May 5, 1835. Its first minister was James H. Thornwell, who later headed SC College in Columbia. The Gothic Revival building was dedicated 1862 and entered in the National Register of Historic Places in 1977. The congregation, now First Presbyterian Church, moved in 1926 and this building, purchased in 1961 by Dr. Ben F. Emanuel, was presented to the community in 1976.
Erected 1985 by Lancaster County Historical Commission. (Marker Number 29-15.)
Location. 34° 43.05′ N, 80° 46.398′ W. Marker is in Lancaster, South Carolina, in Lancaster County. Marker is on West Gay Street 0.1 miles west of South French Street, on the left when traveling west. Click for map. Marker is in this post office area: Lancaster SC 29720, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 10 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The Jail / Robert Mills (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); Franklin Academy / Oldest Continuous Public School Site in Lancaster County (about 600 feet away); Leroy Springs House (about 700 feet away); Lancaster County Law Enforcement Officers Memorial (approx. 0.2 miles away); Lancaster The Springs Block (approx. 0.2 miles away); Thomas H Davis (approx. ¼ mile away); Lancaster County Confederate Monument (approx. ¼ mile away); The Courthouse Lancaster County / John Simpson (approx. ¼ mile away); Lancaster & Chester Railway (approx. 0.4 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Lancaster.
Also see . . . Lancasterville Presbyterian Church. Lancaster Presbyterian Church has played an integral part in this community’s history since the mid-1800s. Completed ca. 1862, the present church is thought to have been the first brick church in Lancaster County. The walls are of handmade brick. Basilican in plan, the church features a gallery along the sides and back of the sanctuary and culminates in an arched pulpit apse. The walls are stuccoed and scored to resemble stone. Interesting details include hood moldings over the arches, cornice brackets with pendants under the gallery, and round wooden columns supporting the gallery. (Submitted on October 30, 2009, by Michael Sean Nix of Spartanburg, South Carolina.)
Categories. • Cemeteries & Burial Sites • Churches, Etc. •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Michael Sean Nix of Spartanburg, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 617 times since then and 8 times this year. Photos: 1. submitted on , by Michael Sean Nix of Spartanburg, South Carolina. 2, 3, 4. submitted on , by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina. 5, 6, 7. submitted on , by Michael Sean Nix of Spartanburg, South Carolina. 8, 9. submitted on , by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina. • Kevin W. was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.