Lancaster in Lancaster County, South Carolina — The American South (South Atlantic)
Lancaster, founded in 1798, was first called Lancaster Court House and later known as Lancasterville. The seat of Lancaster District from 1800 to 1868, it has been the seat of Lancaster County since then. The town and county were named for Lancaster, Pennsylvania, the home of the Scots-Irish families who moved to this part of the South Carolina backcountry by the 1750s. Lancaster was the only incorporated town in the county until after the Civil War.
The town grew rapidly as upcountry cotton production increased between 1800 and 1830, but grew more slowly for the next fifty years. Lancaster, revitalized by the arrival of the railroad in the 1880s and the rise of the textile industry in the 1890s, was described as “delightful and flourishing” in 1900. The Lancaster Downtown Historic District, a collection of significant public and commercial buildings, was listed in the National Register of Historic Places in 1984.
Erected 2004 by Lancaster County Historical Commission. (Marker Number 29-26.)
Location. 34° 43.065′ N, 80° 46.17′ W. Marker is in Lancaster, South Carolina, in Lancaster County. Marker is at the intersection Click for map. Marker is in this post office area: Lancaster SC 29720, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 10 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The Springs Block (within shouting distance of this marker); Leroy Springs House (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); The Jail / Robert Mills (about 800 feet away); Thomas H Davis (approx. 0.2 miles away); Lancaster County Law Enforcement Officers Memorial (approx. 0.2 miles away); Lancaster County Confederate Monument (approx. 0.2 miles away); The Courthouse Lancaster County / John Simpson (approx. 0.2 miles away); Lancasterville Presbyterian Church (approx. 0.2 miles away); Franklin Academy / Oldest Continuous Public School Site in Lancaster County (approx. ¼ mile away); Lancaster & Chester Railway (approx. ¼ mile away). Click for a list of all markers in Lancaster.
Also see . . . Lancaster Downtown Historic District. Beginning in the 1880s, a number of commercial buildings were constructed in the block of Main Street just south of the courthouse. The Lancaster Downtown Historic District is located along portions of a three-block section of South Main Street in downtown Lancaster and consists of twelve buildings constructed between ca. 1880 and ca. 1935. The district includes (Submitted on June 5, 2016, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina.)
Categories. • Notable Places •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Michael Sean Nix of Spartanburg, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 595 times since then and 61 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on , by Michael Sean Nix of Spartanburg, South Carolina. 3, 4, 5. submitted on , by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina. 6. submitted on , by Michael Sean Nix of Spartanburg, South Carolina. 7, 8. submitted on , by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina. • Kevin W. was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.