Pottstown in Montgomery County, Pennsylvania — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
Historic Pottstown Walking Tour
In November of 1751, John Potts, iron master and merchant, entered into an indenture to purchase two tracts of land from Samuel McCall, Jr. and his wife Anne. This land, situated at the confluence of the Manatawny Creek and the Schuylkill River, comprised one thousand acres and had been part of a tract of 14,000 acres once known as McCall's Manor. Potts took full property rights on September 8, 1752, when he finished paying £3000 for the property. He named the place Pottsgrove and construction was soon begun on the Georgian mansion. When the house was completed in late 1753, it reflected the eminence the Potts family had attained by the mid-18th century.
During his ownership, John Potts developed the land into a large working plantation, which by 1762 included a town of the same name. This town officially became Pottstown in 1815. John and his wife Ruth (Savage) had thirteen children, several of whom made the family name even more prominent. The oldest son Thomas inherited Pottsgrove Manor following his father's death in 1768. He sold the plantation in 1783 to Col. Francis Nichols, Chief Marshall [sic] of Pennsylvania. A succession of owners held the house until the 1930's.
In 1939, a group of local citizens led by Marjorie Potts Wendell purchased the house with four surrounding acres and began to restore it to its
Erected 2002 by Pottstown 250th Anniversary Committee.
Location. 40° 14.896′ N, 75° 39.58′ W. Marker is in Pottstown, Pennsylvania, in Montgomery County. Marker is on King Street 0.1 miles east of Pottstown Pike (Pennsylvania Route 100), on the left when traveling west. Click for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 100 W. King Street, Pottstown PA 19464, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. A different marker also named Pottsgrove Manor (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Pottstown Brewing Co. (approx. ¼ mile away); The Elks Home (approx. 0.4 miles away); First Iron Bridge (approx. 0.4 miles away); The PECO Building The Shuler House (approx. half a mile away); Reading Passenger Station (approx. half a mile away); Weitzenkorn's Clothiers (approx. half a mile away). Click for a list of all markers in Pottstown.
Also see . . .
1. History of Pottstown. (Submitted on October 30, 2009, by William Fischer, Jr. of Fort Scott, Kansas.)
2. Pottsgrove Manor. (Submitted on October 30, 2009, by William Fischer, Jr. of Fort Scott, Kansas.)
Categories. • African Americans • Agriculture • Charity & Public Work • Colonial Era • Industry & Commerce • Notable Buildings • Notable Persons • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by William Fischer, Jr. of Fort Scott, Kansas. This page has been viewed 798 times since then and 48 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on , by William Fischer, Jr. of Fort Scott, Kansas. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.